[MGSA-L] Erosion of Democracy -- please sign if you feel you can so and forward to others who might be interested

Karen Van Dyck vandyck at columbia.edu
Fri Feb 15 07:04:00 PST 2013

Dear friends and colleagues,

	Please forgive this circular email. A small group of us in London, Greeks of varied affiliations and political persuasions, have come together because we are very concerned about the erosion of democracy and civil rights in Greece. Our aim is to raise awareness of the problem internationally, in the hope that this might help to put pressure on Greek politicians to address these issues. We have drafted a statement (with all the difficulties attendant on group composition) which we plan to send as an open letter to selected publications, initially in Britain but later also in Greece and the United States. We hope to collect as many signatures as we can from people with a personal or professional interest in Greece and/or human rights and civil liberties. We would be very grateful if you would sign the statement, if you feel you can do so, and also forward it to others who might be interested.

	I attach the statement here, and include a link to a petition site where you can sign. This is not intended primarily as a petition, but this seemed the easiest way to assemble signatures. As the petition site does not include a space for institutional affiliation or profession, I would like to ask you please to put that in the "comment" box and also email it to me so that we can include it in the open letter.

	With many thanks

	Maria Margaronis

> http://www.thepetitionsite.com/375/381/293/initiative-for-democracy-in-greece/

Maria Margaronis