[MGSA-L] Fwd: Fw: Petition: Save the foreign language departments of the University of Athens and Thessaloniki in Greece

Stathis Gourgouris ssg93 at columbia.edu
Wed Feb 13 08:06:46 PST 2013

Colleagues,

For those of you who don't know already please note the following petition.

SG

*Dearcolleagues,*

*we need your support, please sign our petition at *

https://www.change.org/petitions/professor-konstantinos-arvanitopoulos-greek-minister-of-education-save-the-departments-of-english-french-german-italian-and-spanish

*and spread the word in your departments*

**

**

*SAVE THE DEPARTMENTS OF ENGLISH, FRENCH, GERMAN, ITALIAN, AND SPANISH
LANGUAGES AND LITERATURES IN GREECE*

Based on financial logistics rather than on criteria of academic
excellence, the  ATHENA scheme of the Greek government regarding
University Education calls for the merging of the Departments of
English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish Languages and Literatures,
into a single ?Department of Foreign Languages and Literature? [sic] at
the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens and the Aristotle
University of Thessaloniki.

The above Departments have a long-standing tradition in teaching and
research within the framework of autonomous programmes of academic
studies. Teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate level, as well as
research in these Departments, covers distinct disciplines of literary
and theoretical/applied linguistic studies, always in fruitful dialogue
with the sociocultural context in which these disciplines develop. The
ATHENA scheme will turn our Departments into a huge and
misleadingly-named new ?Department of Foreign Languages and Literature,?
with five language-based ?directions?. Inevitably, this will lead to
language degrees with limited value, lack of educational standards and
professional training.

Therefore, we the professorial staff of the aforementioned Departments
are opposed to the proposed merger and request from the Minister of
Education to respect and preserve each Department?s autonomy, tradition
and its valuable contributions to society and the European mission.

**

signature database 7999 (20130212) __________

http://www.eset.com