[MGSA-L] CfP – Panel on Emigration and the Sending State

Anagnostou, Georgios anagnostou.1 at osu.edu
Sat Dec 7 18:16:36 PST 2013

>From the Transnational Studies Committee:

We are currently seeking to recruit papers focusing on the ways through which sending states interact with their citizens abroad in order to complete a panel on 'Emigration and the Sending State' for the American Political Science Association (APSA) 2014 Meeting.

Driven by a desire to direct scholarly attention of migration towards the relatively understudied aspect of emigration, the proposed panel aims to analyse the nature, evolution, and effects of state emigration policies. Consequently, sending states are conceptualised as actively (re)structuring their relationship with their citizens abroad, thereby challenging ideas of sovereignty, legitimacy, and state power. Issues of interest include, but are not limited to: the economic, political, or ideational effects of emigration on the sending states; the role of state institutions in structuring relations with nationals abroad; diaspora engagement in the sending state's foreign policy.

Two papers are already in place on emigration in the Middle Eastern context. They examine Egyptian emigration policy in the aftermath of the 'Arab Spring,' and the Iraqi diaspora-state interaction respectively. We are planning on submitting the panel through the APSA's Migration & Citizenship section. If you are interested in being involved, please send an abstract to Gerasimos Tsourapas (g_tsourapas at soas.ac.uk) no later than 10 December.

> Gerasimos Tsourapas
> Department of Politics & International Studies
> School of Oriental and African Studies
> Thornhaugh St., Russell Square
> London WC1H 0XG, UK
> +44(0)7501615300 (UK) / +201147177949 (Egypt)
Georgios (Yiorgos) Anagnostou
Associate Professor
Modern Greek Program
Ohio State University