[MGSA-L] 50 Diaspora Greeks Reflect on Cavafy at Michigan

Vassilios Lambropoulos vlambrop at umich.edu
Sun Apr 28 14:42:43 PDT 2013

The Greek diaspora of 2013 is very different from the diaspora in which Cavafy was born 150 years ago
and also different from the one in which Cavafy died seventy years later.
And yet Greek cosmopolitanism and globalism persist.

Early in 2013 the C.P. Cavafy Chair at the University of Michigan
invited several Greek diaspora intellectuals from around the world
to honor the poet's double anniversary by contrubuting a short piece on "the meaning of Cavafy today -
his life, poetry, prose, reflections, letters, photos, translations, status, reception," whatever they might like.

The idea was to listen to a variety of voices of the Greek intellectual diaspora in the 21st century.

On Monday, April 29, the poet's anniversary, we are posting on "Cavafy's Forum," our web page,
a folder with the responses of 50 intellectuals from today's Greek global diaspora.
These responses are all unpublished and were written for this special occasion.

Our contributors come from a variety of disciplines and professions
and they use a variety of formats, from email to video, from poem to memoir, and from essayistic reflection to academic study.
We could not have wished for a greater variety.

Together they constitute both a tribute to the ultimate diaspora writer
and a polyphonic affirmation of 21st century ecumenical Hellenism.

http://www.lsa.umich.edu/modgreek/windowtogreekculture/cpcavafyforum/greekdiasporaintellectualsreflectoncavafy_ci

Vassilis Lambropoulos