[MGSA-L] Princeton Hellenic Studies Workshop "Archaeology and Pedagogy" - April 12, 2013

Dimitri H. Gondicas gondicas at Princeton.EDU
Thu Apr 4 13:24:43 PDT 2013

PRINCETON UNIVERSITY

Seeger Center for Hellenic Studies

Workshop

Archaeology and Pedagogy

Please join us for a discussion forum on how we teach various aspects of archaeology and sub-disciplines within it-in the classroom, in the field, and on the web. Recent work from a range of disciplines has drawn attention to the theoretical, social, political, and practical stakes of teaching material culture.  What are the goals, values, ethical obligations, and difficulties we face in teaching archaeology? To what extent should we incorporate a range of voices, contexts, and narratives, and on a practical level, how? In presenting and discussing a set of pre-circulated readings, current projects, classes, and archaeological resources, we aim to develop more sensitive, reflexive, and interactive approaches to teaching our fields to different audiences in different fora and media.

Conveners:

                Kate Liszka, Princeton University, Egyptian Archaeology

                Matthew McCarty, Princeton University, Roman Archaeology

Participants:

Nic Terrenato, University of Michigan, Roman Archaeology

Zeev Weiss, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Roman / Near Eastern Archaeology

Yannis Hamilakis, University of Southampton, Greek Archaeology / Reception

Nathan Arrington, Princeton University, Greek Archaeology

Joanna Smith, Princeton University, Bronze Age Aegean Archaeology

Stavros Vlizos, Benaki Museum Athens, Greek Archaeology

Anastasia Sakellariadi, Princeton University, Greek / Public Archaeology

We ask for participants and audience members to read the following three short articles in preparation for the workshop which foreground a range of positions, concerns, and methods for teaching archaeology.

1.       Hamilakis, Yannis. 2004. "Archaeology and the Politics of Pedagogy" in World Archaeology 36.2, 287-309. Available on JSTOR: http://www.jstor.org/stable/4128331

2.       Hodder, Ian. 1997. "Always Momentary, Fluid, and Flexible: Towards a Reflexive Excavation Methodology" in Antiquity 71 no. 273, 691-700.  Available online at: http://antiquity.ac.uk/Ant/071/0691/Ant0710691.pdf

3.       Clarke, Catherine. 2005. "Learning Archaeology: Another Story" in Australian Archaeology 61, 80-87. Available on JSTOR: http://www.jstor.org/stable/40287816

Additionally, you may consider exploring the following websites dealing with the presentation of archaeological material:

1.       Catalhöyük Excavation Project, http://www.catalhoyuk.com/

2.       Sydney Cyprus Survey Project, http://www.scsp.arts.gla.ac.uk/

3.       Amykles Research Project, http://amykles-research-project-en.wikidot.com/

4.       Brooklyn Museum of Art, online collections, http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/opencollection/collections/