[MGSA-L] Syriza vs. Xrisi Aygi column Του Νικου Χρυσολωρα

Neni Panourgia np255 at columbia.edu
Mon Sep 24 06:37:04 PDT 2012

Dear Mr Caratzas,

Let me spell out here why this does not constitute censorship. The
article exists in /Kathimerini /and anyone interested in it can access
it and the MGSA-L would have no desire (I assume) and certainly not the
power to block such access. Such a gesture would, indeed, constitute
censorship. But the article is not written by an academic, it does not
deal with the question of Chryse Avge, SYRIZA, or Mitt Romney in a
scholarly manner, it is not addressed to an academic or a scholarly
readership, and it was not presented to this list accompanied by a
scholarly or academic commentary. Furthermore, it does not present
information, it presents the views of its author dripping with sarcasm.
As you yourself note in your message this is a journalistic analysis on
two political parties in Greece. The article was posted naked to this
list, which is an academic one. Therefore my previous comment about the
appearance of the article on this list has nothing to do with free
speech and freedom of expression and everything to do with the
constitution of the list. The guidelines of this list are very clear and
have been voted upon by the membership. Some times posts appear on the
list that are really not academic but they are, also, harmless, namely
music, poetry, innocuous commentary, and we all read them or delete them
or make a minor comment. This article (along with its sister articles by
Stephanos Kasimatis) have provoked immense reaction in Greece with
emotions flying everywhere. It is a political article, aimed to produce
a specific political reaction, and it explicitly disallows scholarly
commentary. Therefore it is perfectly suited for /Kathimerini/ and it
can be reproduced in any chat list unproblematically, or can be the
object of discussion in the context of Journalism Studies, but unless it
actually becomes the subject of scholarly discussion it has no place on
the list.

But lest I be misunderstood by anyone, I say all of the above, and
posted my original post, as a member of the MGSA-L, not as its
moderator, which I am not.

Kali evdomada to everyone,

np/

--