[MGSA-L] Valéry Giscard d'Estaing: "Greece is basically an Oriental country" (Spiegel 9.11.12)

Christos D. Katsetos cd_katsetos at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 13 22:27:36 PDT 2012

[Valéry] Giscard [d'Estaing]: To be perfectly frank, it was a mistake to accept
Greece. Greece simply wasn't ready. Greece is basically an Oriental country.
Helmut [Schmidt], I recall that you expressed skepticism before Greece was
accepted into the European Community in 1981. You were wiser than me.
The Euro Group cannot be allowed to expand endlessly.

Excerpted from Spiegel on-line edition 09/11/2012

European Luminaries Reflect on Euro
"Seventeen Countries Were Far Too Many"
http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/spiegel-interview-with-helmut-schmidt-and-valery-giscard-d-estaing-a-855127.html

Deja vu (Hellenic Parliament 1977)
K. Karamanlis: "Greece belongs to the Western World [...]
certainly we belong to the West"
A. Papandreou: "We prefer to belong to the Greeks"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMWOKw78oUs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5DbnGo1toc

 ========

CDK