[MGSA-L] JOB: Director, Mary Jaharis Center for Byzantine Art and Culture
rolandmo at pacbell.net
Fri Sep 7 13:10:48 PDT 2012
Forwarded by: Dimitri H. Gondicas
Application Deadline: October 25, 2012
Position Title: Director, Mary Jaharis Center for Byzantine Art and Culture
Hellenic College Holy Cross (HCHC) is seeking to fill a full-time position as the Director of the Mary Jaharis Center of Byzantine Art and Culture, beginning February 1, 2013. The Center was inaugurated in 2010 to advance and promote Byzantine studies, with a particular emphasis on the art and culture of Byzantium, within the academy and the Church. The director will take leadership in developing initiatives that help HCHC to execute the Center’s mission. The director will exhibit creativity in articulating, designing, organizing, and executing a robust range of programs and projects, such as academic conferences, master classes, public lectures, study trips, distance learning courses, and summer classes. Collaborating closely with HCHC trustees, administration, faculty, and a board of specialists in Byzantine studies, the director will align the Center’s activities with the broader mission of HCHC. The director will be responsible for the Center’s
administration, as well as its marketing, communications, strategic planning, conference organization, budget preparation, updating of website, etc. The ideal candidate will possess a master’s or doctoral degree in art history, preferably with a concentration in Byzantine art, and experience in marketing and communications, or program development. This is not an academic appointment with research or teaching responsibilities, although opportunities to teach may arise. Compensation commensurate with experience.
Founded in 1938, HCHC is the intellectual and educational center of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese, stimulating, developing, and sustaining vocations for service to Church and society.
Duties and Responsibilities
The director will
· Ensure that the Center’s mission and activities are aligned with the mission, strategic, and operational plan of HCHC by working in close collaboration with the academic deans and/or other senior administrators of HCHC, and by facilitating communication between the Center and the administration of HCHC.
· Develop, execute, monitor, and evaluate multiyear strategic plans for the Center in collaboration with the Center’s board and HCHC administrators.
· Develop and administer creative and innovative programming (e.g., study trips, distance learning programs, art and cultural seminars) for HCHC’s various constituencies, including college students, graduate students, and nontraditional and adult learners in the areas of Byzantine art and culture.
· Plan and organize academic lectures and conferences in the areas of Byzantine art and culture, negotiating with vendors, evaluating quotes, and working with HCHC administration and staff to host events.
· Be responsible for the promotion and marketing of programs and represent the Center at various academic and ecclesiastical venues (e.g., academic conferences, symposia, Orthodox Church clergy-laity assemblies).
· Maintain a vibrant web and social media presence for the Center.
· Develop and manage a financial plan for the Center.
· Monitor, assess, and develop the Center’s ongoing programs, evaluating revenue opportunities for all the Center’s programs.
· Coordinate and communicate the Center’s activities to HCHC’s faculty and attend faculty meetings when necessary; the director will help promote the work of HCHC faculty when appropriate.
· Meet regularly and work in close collaboration with the chairperson of the Center’s board, preparing an agenda and documentation for board meetings and assuring that minutes are taken.
· Write an annual report to HCHC’s president, the Center’s board, and the Jaharis Family Foundation.
· Maintain strong relations with benefactors and new potential donors, and HCHC institutional advancement office.
· Train, supervise, and assure timely payment of interns, part-time employees, and student employees associated with events and programs.
Education and/or Experience
MA or higher in art history or museum studies, with a specialization in Byzantine art or culture preferred.
Experience in initiating, conceptualizing, developing, and executing educational and cultural programs.
Well-developed administrative skills (from creating and executing a strategic plan to running an office), including strong project management skills.
Experience in academic, educational, or cultural organizations, or a comparable environment, especially in directorial or administrative positions.
Demonstrated organizational, communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills, with attention to detail and a high level of accuracy.
Ability to work independently and collaborate with team members in an academic setting.
Excellent interpersonal skills, with a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with scholars, benefactors, and the general public.
Computer Skills and/or Other Skills
Strong computer skills, including experience using MS Office applications, plus web and social media skills; database and information management skills preferred.
Network development skills to broaden the Center’s outreach and to develop collaborative programs or relationships with other organizations.
The physical requirements of this position relate primarily to an office environment, with some exposure to the elements through travel from building to building on campus. In hosting conferences and events, the director should be able to perform light lifting and moderate physical activity associated with the preparation and function of the event. This position requires both the visual acuity and ability to sit for extended periods of time associated with working at a desk with a computer and monitor.
The deadline for applications is October 25, 2012. Please send a letter of application, resume, and a list of three references via e-mail (dpetrucelli at hchc.edu), or mail to:
Hellenic College Holy Cross
50 Goddard Avenue
Brookline, MA 02445
Hellenic College is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MGSA-L