[MGSA-L] Proverb

Terkourafi, Marina mt217 at illinois.edu
Wed Sep 5 08:42:43 PDT 2012

Dear list members

I recently received the following query by a journalist:

Can you confirm that this phrase is a Greek proverb or forward me to someone who can?

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.”

This isn't a phrase I recognize but if any of you do, please feel free to get back to me on or off list.

Many thanks,

Marina

--
Marina Terkourafi