[MGSA-L] Open Meeting about Golden Dawn in NYC October 9

Despoina Lalaki dl72 at nyu.edu
Thu Oct 4 18:28:37 PDT 2012

Dear Friends,

I understand that many of you have expressed interest in taking some
concrete action against Golden Dawn in NYC so I thought you might be
interested in the following open meeting scheduled for next Tuesday in
Astoria. Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Best regards,

Despina Lalaki
Lecturer
A.S. Onassis Program in Hellenic Studies
New York University

Public Meeting

Say “NO” to the Neo-Nazi “Golden Dawn in New York City

Golden Dawn, G.D. (in Greek, Chrysi Avgi), the neo-Nazi,
ultra-nationalistic party, which was recently elected to the Greek
Parliament under the pretext of concern over unemployment, austerity
and the economy, and while engaging in virulent anti-immigrant
rhetoric and anti-democratic, nationalistic activities, has now
established a chapter in New York City. Several groups and
organizations have already publicly expressed their outrage and have
called for immediate action.

For over 30 years, G.D. has operated from the margins of the far right
political spectrum using the symbols, practices and methods of a
racist, anti-democratic and intolerant neo-Nazi ideology. The recent
economic crisis, however, has brought them to the forefront of
political developments. They recently drew the attention of the
international media when one of their Parliament members physically
attacked two women from Left wing parties on live television. Before
that incident and since, G.D. thugs have organized murderous attacks
against immigrants, left wingers, gays as well as anyone who will
stand in their way.

G.D. harbors common criminals. In the 70s, the “Fuhrer,” as they
honorably call their leader, was imprisoned for setting off bombs in
cinemas that showed films of Soviet production. Around thesame period,
members of the organization were also prosecuted for committing acts
of terrorism against left wing newspapers and organizations. Today,
they exhibit particular disdain against Muslims while they also openly
deny the Holocaust.

In New York City, G.D. masquerades as a philanthropic organization
conducting food and clothing drives. The goal of such activities is to
popularize G.D.’s neo-Nazi ideology and enlist public sympathy. G.D.’s
‘philanthropic’ activity is a cynical ploy and has to be condemned as
such. Alternatively, “Doctors of the World,” “AHEPA,” and a number of
other international or community- based NGOs rely on our help to
support the Greek people. We urge all who wish to do so to support
legitimate charities and Greek solidarity groups, and reject Golden
Dawn’s advances.

History teaches us that economic crises can breed hatred, racism and
ultimately fascism. Capitalism divides us along social, cultural and
political lines so as to dominate us more effectively. Few cities in
the world other than New York know this better. We therefore invite
immigrant organizations, unions, teachers’ associations and cultural
organizations to an open meeting where we can freely discuss and
decide how we can effectively act against racism, violence and
fascism.

SAY ‘NO’ TO FASCISM! Say ‘NO’ to RACISM!

PLEASE JOIN US ON
October 9, 2012 • 7–10pm
Church of the Redeemer 30-14 Crescent Street (Corner of 30th Road),
Astoria, NY 11102-3249

The event is co-sponsored by Left Movement NY (Aristeri Kinisi NY),
Occupy Astoria-LIC, Situations: Project of the Radical Imagination,
Strike Debt