[MGSA-L] Despina Lalaki On the Social Construction of Hellenism Cold War Narratives of Modernity, Development and Democracy for Greece JOURNAL OF HISTORICAL SOCIOLOGY

Despoina Lalaki dl72 at nyu.edu
Sat May 12 14:35:27 PDT 2012

Hello everyone,

I would like to share my new article entitled "On the Social
Construction of Hellenism: Cold War Narratives of Modernity,
Development and Democracy for Greece" available online by the Journal
of Historical Sociology, scheduled to be published on paper some time
in 2012.

Any questions or comments are more than welcome.

Despina Lalaki
Lecturer
A.S. Onassis Program for Hellenic Studies
New York University

Sociology PhD Candidate
The New School University

Abstract

Hellenism is one of those overarching, ever-changing narratives always
subject to historical circumstances, intellectual fashions and
political needs. Conversely, it is fraught with meaning and
conditioning powers, enabling and constraining imagination and
practical life. In this essay I tease out the hold that the idea of
Hellas has had on post-war Greece and I explore the ways in which the
American anti-communist rhetoric and discussions about political and
economic stabilization appropriated and rearticulated Hellenism.
Central to this history of transformations are the archaeologists; the
archaeologists as intellectuals, as producers of culture who, while
stepping in and out of their disciplinary boundaries, rewrote and
legitimized the new ideological properties of Hellenism while tapping
into the resources of their profession.