[MGSA-L] RIP Domna Samiou

George Baloglou gbaloglou at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 18:48:18 PDT 2012

2012/3/11 George Baloglou <gbaloglou at gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 8:39 AM, Christos D. Katsetos
> <cd_katsetos at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> The preservation of the diverse musical traditions of Romiosyni is a
>> testament to the legacy of Domna Samiou.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prp-343_54Y
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-E3F9qZP0g
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY4gdX-qhIE
>
> In the last song ("Do ta pres") there are two Greek words, "fylaki" =
> "jail" and "kotsida" = "braid": the first one makes full chance
> (state/authority was Greek), the second one may throw some light into
> the murky origins of "kotsida".

Thinking of "kotsi" = "foot", could "kots" be an Albanian word for
"akri" ("end")? [No I do not believe in Andriotis' possible etymology
from "kottos"!]

> The Greek version sung above by Domna Samiou has nothing to do with
> the Arvanite original,

Of course not, there were *two* songs there!

[For ... compensation ... do you recognize the Greek version of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch4c8lrgN68 ?]

the lyrics of which may be found in Greek in
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55USbm8NdLA . (Basically a young man
> threatens to cut off the braids of a maiden whom her father wants to
> marry someone else -- she wouldn't be able to marry after such a
> haircut, me thinks. For a 1986 live performance by the same well known
> singer, Yoryos Margaritis, you may visit
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7_arYYFV-o -- I have no idea why he
> asks at the very beginning "ποιο είναι το Λατινικό;" ... but his
> question makes me think of a Greek-American friend of Arvanite origins
> telling me, before he knew me better, that his mother spoke ...
> Czechoslovakika!)

Well said, but Yoryos Margaritis is apparently of non-Arvanite
origins*. (Of course the question about Margaritis' mysterious "ποιο
είναι το Λατινικό;" is still out there!)

*see http://www.acharnorama.gr/site/life__style/synenteyxh_spyros_mprempos.html

--

Γιώργος Μπαλόγλου -- Θεσσαλονίκη

http://www.oswego.edu/~baloglou (1988 - 2008)