[MGSA-L] HellasCom: A Portal for all Greeks in the World

June Samaras june.samaras at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 20:56:03 PDT 2012

HellasCom: A Portal for all Greeks in the World
By Panos Kontogiannis on July 21, 2012 in

The new generation in social media is here and it is bringing a portal
that connects Greeks from all places in the world.

The idea belongs to the Postgraduate program “Quality Journalism and
New Technologies” and its creation has been made possible by important
operators such as the Public Broadcasting Cooperation of Greece (ERT),
the Research Center “Athena” and the Greek Patriarchate. The first
presentation of HellasCom was made on July 16th during the conference
for the Universal Thessalians Confederation under the title
“Asclepius” in Volos organized by the head of the Postgraduate program
Mr. Mario Nottas.  Even if at a first glance, it sounds as an
oxymoron, the basic reason for the creation of a social network based
on “Greekness” was the crisis.

As Mr. Nottas stated at kathimerini.gr, “the need for communication
between Greeks during the crisis era is imperative, as the Greek
element around the world is the basic and steady “ambassador” of
Greece. Greeks living abroad are the ones who can bring a change to
the bad image that Greece has now abroad, and help overcome a series
of misconceptions that will bring our county into a more favorable
context that will help us overcome this crisis. However, the emigrant
Hellenism has had a communication problem with Greece. There was the
need for the Greeks leaving abroad to feel closer, and communicate
with Greece more often. Until today, this was not possible. Not even
during the Internet era. Our proposal is possible to give solutions to
all these problems, and offer more than someone could imagine. A
portal through which the emigrant Hellenism could communicate not only
with Greece but also with each other. Thinking all these aspects, the
designers of HellasCom have started the development of an application,
without knowing, at first place, where it would end up to or how many
problems it would solve.”

As usual, in the digital environment of social media, the users are
the priority. As Mr. Nottas underlined, “The originality of the social
media is based on the rule that you cannot define beforehand the
special purposes and you cannot define the ways these will be
accomplished. This major freedom is what makes social media
interesting”.

“It is however possible to define the context inside which all these
aspects will flourish. Facebook and other social media can serve such
communication needs. It is not exactly like this, though. We dream of
a context , a portal inside which personal , business and cultural
needs could be paired, creating the necessary subnets which could
function effectively into this digital environment,” Mr. Nottas says.

As he claims, “the cooperation of important public operations from
Greece is already guaranteed. We have in our side the Polytechnic
School that offers us one of its laboratories specifically serving
this purpose. We also cooperate with the Research Center “Athena” ran
by the General Secretariat for Research and Technology. Most
importantly, in my opinion, is the cooperation of the public
broadcasting cooperation ERT, as through its global range it can
accomplish those necessary communication conditions that we need and
help this plan in various ways”.

--
June Samaras
KALAMOS BOOKS