[MGSA-L] Reminder-Call for Papers

Nikolaos Michailidis nmichail at Princeton.EDU
Tue Jan 24 15:11:02 PST 2012

REMINDER
Call for Papers: International Graduate Student Conference, "Crisis and Innovation in Modern Greece," Deadline: Friday, February 3, 2012

PRINCETON UNIVERSITY
Seeger Center for Hellenic Studies
http://www.princeton.edu/hellenic/

 CALL FOR PAPERS

International Graduate Student Conference
“CRISIS AND INNOVATION IN MODERN GREECE”
Princeton University, May 4, 2012

The Seeger Center for Hellenic Studies at Princeton University announces our fourth International Graduate Student Conference in Modern Greek Studies.

Submissions are invited from doctoral candidates at the final stages of their dissertation work.  We seek proposals for papers that explore the interplay between moments of crisis and processes of innovation in modern Greece. Our primary aim is to discuss these two concepts, to explore their relationship and indicate their role in Greek social, political, and cultural life from the early modern period to the present. Possible research areas include institutions, policies, practices, discourses, and identities. We welcome submissions from various disciplines, such as anthropology, art history, film studies, economics, history, literary criticism, political science, and sociology.  Comparative or interdisciplinary approaches are welcome. Papers should be in English, and must not exceed 30 minutes.

Please submit abstracts of approximately 350 words no later than February 3, 2012. All Greek words should be transliterated. Each abstract should be accompanied by a cover letter, including (i) a curriculum vitae; (ii) a brief statement how the proposed paper connects with the dissertation-in-progress; (iii) the applicant's contact details (name, current affiliation, postal and e-mail addresses; tel. nos.); (iv) the names and e-mail addresses of two academic referees, including the dissertation supervisor and one other person familiar with the candidate's current research.

Receipt of all submissions will be acknowledged. The applicants will be notified by February 24, 2012, whether their submissions have been accepted. Participants will be expected to submit the full text of their papers by April 13, 2012. Papers will be precirculated among conference speakers, chairs, and respondents.

The Center for Hellenic Studies will cover participants' travel expenses to Princeton, and will offer shared (double-occupancy) accommodation (up to four nights), as well as some meals on the days of the conference.

Submissions should be e-mailed to: hellenic at princeton.edu<mailto:hellenic at princeton.edu>  and nmichail at princeton.edu<mailto:nmichail at princeton.edu>

(Submissions by fax or hard copy will not be accepted.)

Deadline: February 3, 2012

Posted by the Secretary to the Committee: Nikos Michailidis (Anthropology and Hellenic Studies, Princeton University)