[MGSA-L] Greek songs *from* Israel

George Baloglou gbaloglou at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 01:50:41 PST 2012

2012/1/19 Pavlos Andronikos <andronikos at iinet.net.au>:

> I didn't realise this was a test, George. :)
>
> If there is a Greek version of “Erev Shel Shoshanim” I don’t think I have
> heard it, so I fail the test, but thanks for directing us to a lovely song.
> It was also covered by Nana Mouskouri I see.

The last sentence is a key that everybody missed: even though youtube
fails to make the connection*, it was Nana who sang a Greek version of
"Erev Shel Shoshanim", to lyrics of Nikos Gatsos, and with her former
husband Yoryos Petsilas listed as the composer (in
http://www.stixoi.info/stixoi.php?info=Lyrics&act=details&song_id=28269
for example) -- it's "The Black Eagle", from the LP "Σπίτι μου σπιτάκι
μου" (1972), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVA5CjSO0Gk (posted only
in 2010, by KainourgiaToraZoi, with translation in Italian by Gian
Piero Testa).

*youtube has failed to connect the Greek version to the Israeli
original, but a youtube commenter and devoted fan of Nana Mouskouri
from Rio de Janeiro nicknamed odisseus20dx has not ("Essa música
copiou o ritmo da música hebraica "Erev Shel Shoshanim""); Nana has
also sung it in Hebrew**, as Pavlos already noticed, see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gdahr9actE -- anyone familiar with
"The Black Eagle" would instantly make the connection, me thinks.
[Well, apparently not a big hit in Greece: probably no match for the
original, but still an old personal favorite -- the trip from
'poignant' Yarkoni to 'cheerful' Mouskouri took me a couple of minutes
of torment :-) ]

**and so have done Miriam Makeba (as already pointed out) and Harry
Belafonte: "Erev Shel Shoshanim" did not take a direct flight from
Israel to Greece :-)

--

Γιώργος Μπαλόγλου -- Θεσσαλονίκη

http://www.oswego.edu/~baloglou (1988 - 2008)

http://crystallomath.wordpress.com (2009 - )

One monkey remained unaccounted for Wednesday night, but Lutz and
conservationist Jack Hanna, who assisted in the effort, said the
animal may have been eaten by one of the big cats. --
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/19/us/ohio-animals-on-loose/index.html