[MGSA-L] Greek songs *from* Israel

George Baloglou gbaloglou at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 02:58:13 PST 2012

2012/1/17 George Baloglou <gbaloglou at gmail.com>:

> Many of us know how popular Greek music is in Israel, and many Greek
> songs can be heard there, be it in Greek or in Hebrew. But do any of
> you know of any Israeli songs that they have been sang in Greek (same
> music, possibly different story)?
>
> [All answers welcome, but preference for songs without a Yiddish etc
> past (like "Balalaika") or Arabic past -- the one I came across this
> morning is 100/% Israeli, and, what a useless hint, it is the only
> song its Greek 'composer' has been credited with...]

Here is the first half of the answer, the one I had in mind anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP0OuRVzpw0 (sang by Miriam Makeba)

This is the best rendering in my opinion, but the one I discovered first is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYXH5Fu9pbc

('Israel's Vempo', who passed away on 1/1/12, in an exquisite wedding
song, "Evening of Lilies"; and I was led to that by "Yafa Yarkoni's
Greek songs", http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v42uEY6BaMI )

...Interestingly, there is nothing on youtube leading to the Greek
version I have in mind -- I am curious to see how many of you are
going to recognize and remember it, if no one does I will reveal it in
a few days...

--

Γιώργος Μπαλόγλου -- Θεσσαλονίκη

http://www.oswego.edu/~baloglou (1988 - 2008)

http://crystallomath.wordpress.com (2009 - )

One monkey remained unaccounted for Wednesday night, but Lutz and
conservationist Jack Hanna, who assisted in the effort, said the
animal may have been eaten by one of the big cats. --
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/19/us/ohio-animals-on-loose/index.html