[MGSA-L] Greek songs *from* Israel

George Baloglou gbaloglou at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 02:42:47 PST 2012

2012/1/18 Dimitris Papanikolaou <dimitris.papanikolaou at mod-langs.ox.ac.uk>:

> - a song that readily comes to mind is the Eleni Dimou version of the famous 'Hurshat ha'ecalyptus' by Naomi Shemer, one of the legends of Israeli popular music.
>
> In the last decades, the more specific context of the original song is normally forgotten as it is sung as a lyrical ballad by many 'big voice' singers (such as Lara Fabian or Ishtar). The Greek version by Thodoris Poalas, completely transforms it into a song about strained love; a moving song, I must add.
>
> the original here
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA2RQPl4aww
>

> Dimou's version here
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO7v_wkOB-s
>

> and the two versions side by side by Dorit Farkash
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axg6aVbymCY

As I read in the comments section of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaQ44_OxTr0 (which also provides the
original lyrics in English), this song was also very popular in
Bulgaria!

--

Γιώργος Μπαλόγλου -- Θεσσαλονίκη

http://www.oswego.edu/~baloglou (1988 - 2008)

http://crystallomath.wordpress.com (2009 - )

One monkey remained unaccounted for Wednesday night, but Lutz and
conservationist Jack Hanna, who assisted in the effort, said the
animal may have been eaten by one of the big cats. --
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/19/us/ohio-animals-on-loose/index.html