[MGSA-L] The passing of legendary soccer player Lefter Küçükandonyadis

George Baloglou gbaloglou at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 22:11:42 PST 2012

Kudos to Dr. Katsetos for having compiled all this information: far
from being of interest to soccer fans only, Lefter(is)' story
illuminates many sides of the difficult relation between Greece and
Turkey; I can already see a book coming out of this, which will
hopefully answer my questions -- like the relation between his move to
AEK and the 1964 events, for example (this question is obvious, but
not quite touched by the articles below).

For soccer funs: I have no doubt Lefter(is) was thrilled by the
remarkable successes of Turkish soccer in the 2002-2008 interval, but
I do not know how he felt when Muslimovic scored PAOK's 'winning' goal
in overtime against Fenerbahse in August 2010 -- I watched that game
in a hotel room in Cappadocia, I do recall, having skipped our group's
visit to a dervish dance! [Speaking of PAOK, I very recently heard the
story of one of PAOK's founding members who returned to Istanbul
around 1930 -- much like Lefter(is) did in 1967, perhaps...]

Dear Christos, your message made me miss the super market's closing
time 11 hours ago -- you owe me a bottle of ayran now :-)