[MGSA-L] "The Barefoot Battalion" ("Το Ξυπόλητο Τάγμα") ...

George Baloglou gbaloglou at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 16:52:12 PST 2012

2012/1/14 George Baloglou <gbaloglou at gmail.com>:

> [The most remarkable detail for me is a very oblique reference to
> Secret School at 0:25:30-0:25:45: in a dialogue that I cannot hear too
> clearly, the hideout of the barefoot battalion -- would anyone know
> where that was? -- is referred to as λημέρι των Χριστιανών (during the
> Ottoman years), and that is rendered by the subtitles as "this was a
> church and a school". I understand that the subtitles may have come
> before (!) the voice in this unconventional movie, and the overall
> correspondence between voice and subtitles is very loose; in this
> particular instance I think I hear λημέρι των Χριστιανών που ζούσαν
> κρυφά από τους άνδρες, little sense as that makes -- more likely is
> something like λημέρι των Χριστιανών που ζούσαν κρυφά από τους άλλους,
> except I cannot hear άλλους (or something else) after repeated
> efforts...

One of you has managed to hear it at long last, and kindly let me know  -- it's
άπιστους, so the complete passage is Εδώ τα παλιά τα χρόνια ήταν το λημέρι
των Χριστιανών, που ζούσαν κρυφά από τους άπιστους = "in the old [Ottoman]
days this was the hideout of the Christians, who lived (in) hiding
from the infidel".

--

Γιώργος Μπαλόγλου -- Θεσσαλονίκη

http://www.oswego.edu/~baloglou (1988 - 2008)

http://crystallomath.wordpress.com (2009 - )

One monkey remained unaccounted for Wednesday night, but Lutz and
conservationist Jack Hanna, who assisted in the effort, said the
animal may have been eaten by one of the big cats. --
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/19/us/ohio-animals-on-loose/index.html