[MGSA-L] "The Barefoot Battalion" ("Το Ξυπόλητο Τάγμα") ...

George Baloglou gbaloglou at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 15:56:29 PST 2012

... was shown tonight on ERT-3, and it is also available at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crKr7Sd-Y9w (as of 10/29/11): Greek
neorealism, great shots of early 1950's Thessaloniki, and the true
story of orphans-turned-social-thieves during the German occupation.
You can find out more about this historic movie at the site given
above, as well as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6fHig8KRbA and
http://www2.rizospastis.gr/story.do?id=4265923

[The most remarkable detail for me is a very oblique reference to
Secret School at 0:25:30-0:25:45: in a dialogue that I cannot hear too
clearly, the hideout of the barefoot battalion -- would anyone know
where that was? -- is referred to as λημέρι των Χριστιανών (during the
Ottoman years), and that is rendered by the subtitles as "this was a
church and a school". I understand that the subtitles may have come
before (!) the voice in this unconventional movie, and the overall
correspondence between voice and subtitles is very loose; in this
particular instance I think I hear λημέρι των Χριστιανών που ζούσαν
κρυφά από τους άνδρες, little sense as that makes -- more likely is
something like λημέρι των Χριστιανών που ζούσαν κρυφά από τους άλλους,
except I cannot hear άλλους (or something else) after repeated
efforts... (Speaking of translation, the word δραγουμάνα for "(female)
interpreter" is also heard in the movie, and the identity of the
translator who lost her life trying to save the children should also
be of great interest -- all this under the assumption that this is
indeed a true story...) ]

--

Γιώργος Μπαλόγλου -- Θεσσαλονίκη

http://www.oswego.edu/~baloglou (1988 - 2008)

http://crystallomath.wordpress.com (2009 - )

One monkey remained unaccounted for Wednesday night, but Lutz and
conservationist Jack Hanna, who assisted in the effort, said the
animal may have been eaten by one of the big cats. --
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/19/us/ohio-animals-on-loose/index.html