[MGSA-L] British Museum - Partneon sculptures

Chris Williams troianovagroup at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 19 01:41:19 PST 2012

I visited the museum yesterday for the first time in a long time. I was interested to see that the Museum now has a free leaflet, prominently placed in the room containing the Parthenon sculptures, outlining its policy of retention of the sculputures in opposition to requests for their return by the Greek government. The leaflet is dated September 2011 and certainly wasn't there the last time I visited. It's hard to avoid the conclusion that this is a rather defensive attempt to capitalise on the current political situation in Greece; as a friend observed, all it needs is a note saying '... and look at what's going on over there.' The leaflet is available online but the wording on the stand in the musem isn't. This reads 'Why are the Parthenon sculptures always in the news?' This is hardly true of course, but it does succeed in drawing the visitors' attention to Greek events that are in the news.

Chris

Chris