[MGSA-L] Greek church in Alanya to reopen for worship

June Samaras june.samaras at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 17:16:54 PST 2012

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/greek-church-in-alanya-to-reopen-for-worship.aspx?pageID=238&nID=37915&NewsCatID=393

Greek church in Alanya to reopen for worship

ISTANBUL - Hürriyet Daily News

With the efforts of the local municipality, a 300-year-old Greek
church in the Mediterranean resort town of Alanya will be restored and
opened for worship to serve all Christians in the region
The historic Hagia Yorgi Greek Church in the Mediterranean province of
Antalya’s Alanya district will be restored and reopened for worship by
the district’s municipality.

The 300-year-old church, which will also serve as a cultural center,
is to provide religious services to all the Christians in the region.

Alanya Mayor Hasan Sipahioğlu told the Hürriyet Daily News on Dec. 28
that the recently enacted municipalities law created opportunities for
municipalities to take such initiatives.

Sipahioğlu said the authority regarding places of worship was given to
municipalities with the introduction of the new law, adding that
30,000 foreigners were currently living in Alanya. “The Christians
living in Alanya used to worship in places they rented. With this
project, we will open the church for the service of all the Christians
living in our district without discrimination between Orthodox
Christians, Protestants, and Catholics,” Sipahioğlu said.

Reviving Alanya

According to Sipahioğlu, there are various historic churches in
Alanya, and the Hagia Yorgi Greek Church was only one of them. He said
they have initiated the required proceedings to restore them, adding
that they would also restore mosques along with the churches. “We want
to revive Alanya, with all of its religious and cultural aspects.”

When asked his opinion on the new mosque projects in Istanbul and the
Syriac church project that is planned to be built on a land belonging
to Latin Catholics, Sipahioğlu said he did not want to interfere with
those subjects since he was responsible for duties in Alanya alone.
“Christians have demanded a church in Alanya and we want to fulfill
their request,” he said.

The Alanya Russian Education and Culture Association head Katya Gündüz
said they regarded the municipality’s decision as a positive step,
indicating that over 5,000 Russians are currently living in Alanya.
“We have been fighting to have a church for about 10 years,” Gündüz
said, adding that her association has also made contact with the
municipality in regards to the church.

“The only target of our struggle is [to have] a place where we could
worship. We have felt its absence for years,” Gündüz said.
December/29/2012

--
June Samaras
2020 Old Station Rd