[MGSA-L] Greek America Foundation launches relief drive

June Samaras june.samaras at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 19:00:53 PST 2012

http://ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite6_1_19/12/2012_475247

Greek America Foundation launches relief drive

Project Hope for Greece is a new initiative launched by the
Chicago-based Greek America Foundation in response to the hardship
faced by crisis-hit Greeks.

The aim of the campaign is to raise awareness and funds in support of
charities and nonprofit groups on the front line of the crisis in
Greece. The funding is to be directed toward groups working with the
homeless – it is estimated that there are 20,000 people without a
permanent residence in Greece right now – as well as with the
unemployed, whose percentage has soared near 26 percent, according to
recent data.

Gregory Pappas, founder and chairman of the Greek America Foundation,
as well as of The Pappas Post, stresses the need for the diaspora to
contribute to social relief in Greece.

“Greece is under threat. And by extension, anything Greek is too –
including our own Greekness,” says Pappas. “No matter how safe we feel
and how comfortable our existence is in our churches, our communities
and our various organizations and causes – we cannot be Greek by
convenience. We shouldn't ‘use’ our Greekness just to sell a souvlaki
or a piece of moussaka at a festival.”

The goal is to enlist 300 people or organizations to become
Ambassadors of Hope and host small dinners, cocktail parties or
receptions that will raise a minimum of $1,000 apiece.

“Our parents and grandparents came to the New World in search of a
better life, in search of education, for something better,” says
Pappas.

“It was hope that was their driving force and it is because they
believed in hope that we are here today, living successful lives and
doing what we do. We owe it to our family and friends in our ancestral
homeland to give back some of that hope now, more than ever.”

This year's fundraising effort will culminate at the 2013 Gabby Awards
in Hollywood, which will be branded the “Gabby Awards for Greece.” The
Gabby Awards are an annual event organized by the Greek America
Foundation to honor outstanding achievements among the Greek-American
community.

ekathimerini.com , Wednesday December 19, 2012 (19:18)

--
June Samaras
2020 Old Station Rd
E-mail : june.samaras at gmail.com