[MGSA-L] Announcement, JMGS

Van Steen, Gonda gonda at ufl.edu
Sun Dec 2 19:19:50 PST 2012

Dear friends,

Please find below and also attached an important announcement from the incoming editors of the Journal of Modern Greek Studies. You will also be able to refer to this document online, on the MGSA website.

As the incoming editors of the Journal of Modern Greek Studies we would like to express our commitment to the Modern Greek Studies Association and to the Journal. As we acknowledge and value the historical trajectory of the Journal as the flagship publication of the Association, we are looking forward to furthering its reputation and to guiding it through the challenges that lie ahead.

The Executive Board of the MGSA has entrusted us with the task of stewarding the Journal and has trusted us with a new modality of editing it. During our tenure the Journal will have two co-editors: Artemis Leontis for the Humanities and Neni Panourgiá for the Social Sciences. We are hopeful that this experiment will give us flexibility in addressing the specific quandaries that arise from within each one of the fields while it will allow us to move through the review process more efficiently than has been possible in the past.

We are looking forward to hosting Special Issues as we are poised to develop even further the web component of the Journal. We are open to suggestions and feedback and, in time, we hope that we will be able to provide the space for open interaction within the Journal itself.

Our tenure starts in January 2013 with Neni Panourgiá as Editor for the Social Sciences and Vassilis Lambropoulos as Interim Editor for the Humanities. Artemis Leontis will take over as Editor for the Humanities in January 2014. In the meantime Yiorgos Anagnostou and Karen Emmerich will continue to serve the JMGS as Associate Editors for the Social Sciences and the Humanities respectively, and Gregory Jusdanis will continue to serve as Book Review Editor for the Humanities. The Journal will only accept queries about submissions in electronic form. Please find the pertinent information at the bottom of this page and on the MGSA website.

We would like to thank Professor Maria Koundoura for all the hard work that she and her team at Emerson College have put into the editorship of the Journal thus far. Professor Koundoura brought the Journal into the 21st century by inaugurating the web component of it, streamlining the submissions procedure, and setting the timeline needed to bring the Journal into production. We are indebted to her. We are hoping to be building on her accomplishments and her vision for the Journal.

We will be contacting the membership in the coming months in our effort to make the Journal a space of inclusiveness and innovation, to communicate with you on new features that we are planning for the Journal, and to solicit Guest Editors for Special Issues.

With all best wishes,

Neni Panourgiá
Artemis Leontis
Vassilis Lambropoulos

Neni Panourgiá
Editor for the Social Sciences
Journal of Modern Greek Studies
Columbia University
ICLS
Heyman Center for the Humanities
New York, NY 10027
np255 at columbia.edu<mailto:np255 at columbia.edu>

Artemis Leontis
Editor of the Humanities (beginning in 2014)
Journal of Modern Greek Studies
University of Michigan
Department of Classical Studies
2160 Angell Hall 435 S. State Street