[MGSA-L] Eco-commune flourishes as Greek economy withers

June Samaras june.samaras at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 11:06:16 PDT 2012

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/30/uk-greece-commune-idUSLNE87T01R20120830

Eco-commune flourishes as Greek economy withers

By Deepa Babington and Lefteris Papadimas
AGHIOS, Greece | Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:54am ED

(Reuters) - Web designer Apostolos Sianos and three friends startled
Greek villagers when they quit well-paid jobs in Athens to set up a
self-sufficient commune that lives in yurts and grows its own
vegetables.

In California, or Scandinavia, such a move might have gone unnoticed.
But in deeply conservative rural Greece - where green thinking is
strictly the domain of urbanites - the project made suspicious locals
uneasy, or was laughed off as ridiculous.

But now, two years and a brutal economic crisis later, Sianos and his
friends are the ones laughing.

With Greece's economy in freefall, nearly one in four out of work and
the desperate jobless turning to the land to survive, the group's
focus on growing their own produce and cutting down their reliance on
money and a bankrupt state suddenly make practical sense to many
Greeks - and some are now turning to the vegan commune for advice.

"Even two years ago, everyone thought we were crazy. But not any
more," says Panos Kantas, 29, a pony-tailed former computer programmer
who co-founded the Mount Telethrion Project with Sianos and two
others. "The crisis validated a point that was obvious to us and now
it's obvious to everyone."

They had a rocky start in 2010, when the former city-dwellers
struggled to gather firewood to keep warm in winter and found
sceptical villagers asking, in all seriousness, if they were
transmitting signals into outer space. But the commune now has about
15 to 20 enthusiasts living there at any time.

As Greece's crisis has deepened over the past year, dozens more have
inquired about moving to the commune - perched on a hilly slope on the
island of Evia, or Euboea, and looking out to sea, near the village of
Aghios. More than 2,500 curious visitors have stopped by, the
commune's founders reckon.

In particular, the workshop training sessions they offer on organic
farming and building houses with a traditional adobe mix of clay, sand
and straw - cheaper than bricks and mortar - have drawn interest from
crisis-hit Greeks escaping a dire job market to return to tending land
in their villages.

"People come asking, 'How do you get started on cultivating land? What
are the first steps for sustainable farming? How can you manage
without a pay cheque?'" said Sianos, 32, as he sat at a table recycled
from an abandoned wooden cable drum.

A few feet away, a dozen young Greeks squatted on the floor of the
commune's workshop area to pit yellow plums they had gathered from the
nearby forest while others laid out slices of tomatoes grown in their
garden to dry under the sun.

About 80 percent of the food - all vegan - consumed in the commune is
produced in the garden, Sianos says, and the group tries to get the
rest by bartering produce with villagers; the residents can offer
their sun-dried tomatoes and a vegan chocolate substitute made from
carob, tahini and hazelnuts.

The commune's lofty ambitions of cutting money out of the equation
altogether still have a long way to go - cash is still needed for
electricity and for a new domed structure being built on land nearby
as part of plans to expand.

But the group tries to rely on as little cash as possible. The housing
in yurts - large, round canvas tents modelled on those of Central
Asian nomads - was chosen after it turned out to be the only structure
they could put up without having to apply for a costly permit from
state planning authorities.

Other necessities like toothpaste - using baking soda, white clay and
peppermint - and soap are made at the workshop.

NO LAUGHING MATTER

The commune is one of several ecological initiatives that have
benefited as the debt crisis forces Greeks to rethink their way of
life - especially the big-spending, consumerist urban lifestyle partly
blamed for bringing Greece to the brink.

"As a general trend, the crisis for several people was an opportunity
to change the way they think and try to be organised in a different
way," said Theocharis Tsoutsos, professor at the Technical University
of Crete who has studied sustainable energy projects.

"For instance, doing things on a smaller scale, creating their own
garden, or trying to promote ecological issues on a small scale, or
promoting low-cost agricultural initiatives."

Greenpeace says the crisis has seen environmental policies popularised
by former prime minister George Papandreou - a keen cyclist and
believer in "green growth" - pushed off the political agenda. But
niche initiatives like the project on Evia are thriving as Greeks to
return to their rural roots, it says.

The commune would have found few willing takers among Greeks riding
high on an economic boom a decade ago, said the lobby group's Greek
campaigns coordinator Dimitris Ibrahim.

"People then were more interested in their welfare, making money, the
stock market. These people would have been laughed at - Greek society
was not ready to hear this kind of message," he said, adding that
other, less developed eco-communes have also sprung up in Greece in
recent years.

"Now it's really relevant. It goes to the core - every Greek knows
someone who is moving to these practices."

Showing off his commune's cultivation of mushrooms and compost toilets
which use worms to turn waste into cheap natural fertilizer, Sianos
marvels at the project's fortunate timing.

Raising capital to support the initiative has been a struggle due to
the financial crisis, but on the other hand there's no shortage of
interest from people eager to leave behind despair in Athens to start
afresh on a remote mountain: "Ten years ago we may have easily found
the money to build the site," he said.

"But no one would have been here to live in it."

MOANING AND WHINING

For 21-year-old Anna Sofroniou, the laidback vibe and the sense of
collective action in the face of a paralysing national crisis pushed
her to return to the commune after unsuccessfully hunting for a job as
teacher over the past year.

"Throughout the crisis, you see people moaning and whining without
doing anything," said the recent college graduate. "In Athens,
everybody just talks about politics and problems."

Instead, at the commune, she found little talk of the crisis and a
range of communal chores ranging from foraging for berries and wild
herbs to building a wooden shed to fill her time.

Yannis Razakias and Maria Eikosipentaki, a couple from Athens who have
lived at the commune for three months, stumbled upon the project on
the Internet and were similarly drawn to it as an escape from an urban
lifestyle beset with anxieties.

"The crisis definitely affected us psychologically in our decision.
Our clients, our employers, everyone talked about the crisis and how
they could get through it," said Eikosipentaki, who quit the
hairdresser job she had for 14 years to move here.

"In Athens, the only things on our minds were things like how we could
make it, how we would get through this or that, how we could find some
money to go on a trip."

Indeed, Greece's crippling recession seems a world away this summer as
night falls and pasta with herbs is cooked for a communal dinner under
a large fig tree.

Only the chirp of cicadas accompanies chatter. The main topics of
dinner table conversation across Greece - the crisis, the reviled
foreign bailout keeping the country afloat and the much loathed troika
of lenders bankrolling Athens - are absent.

The commune still has its challenges, including lingering scepticism
and mistrust among some of the local villagers.

"They are very suspicious - like, 'What are these long-haired people
from Athens doing here?'" said Sianos. "They don't understand what
we're trying to do. If you tell them we're an eco-community they look
at you like you're an alien."

Opinion has softened somewhat, Sianos says, but winning over locals
remains harder than convincing crisis-hit Athens natives.

In the centre of the village of Aghios, farmers sipping their morning
coffee at cafes said they had yet to figure out what the commune was
up to its midst and how it got by.

"They can't get be getting by without money and with just a small
piece of land," scoffed Stathis Raxiotis, a 65-year-old farmer as he
nursed a small cup of strong black coffee:

"We've been farmers for decades," he said. "We have hundreds of trees,
lots of land - and, with the crisis, even we can't get by on farming
alone." (Editing by Alastair Macdonald)