[MGSA-L] Dangerous spam included in MGSA-L Digest, Vol 96, issue 5

Anthony Hirst anthony.hirst at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 5 16:01:50 PDT 2012

The final item in Vol 96 issue 5 ( "4. Re: (no subject) (ANTHONY HIRST)"),  purports to come from my email address. In fact it was not sent from my address, and is a potentialy dangerous piece of spam, which is not even evidently addressed to the mgsa-l.

I can't understand how it got included in the Digest without any scrutiny. There is no content remotely relevant to the MGSA and the phraseology "this is crazy and you should check the out" is typical of spam. I am concerned that the site to which readers are directed may contain malware.

Please issue a warning in the next issue of the Digest. I very much regret that that my name is associated with this bogus message, but as I had no part in generating it I can't exactly apologize.

Whenever I have sent anything to the MGSA listserv, I have taken care to include my membership number  with the message.

As one of your subscribers has already sent me a message saying "You're now on blocked/junk list",  I would appreciate it if you would include this message from me (or at least a reference to it) in the next issue of the Digest. (It was the email from the fellow subscriber which alerted to check the contents of the Digest which had arrived shortly before.)

Yours sincerely

Anthony Hirst
MGSA Membership No.  2097371