[MGSA-L] NYU in Athens

Anastasia M Diakaki anastasia.diakaki at nyu.edu
Tue Apr 3 09:44:00 PDT 2012

Dear MGSA members,

This is a call for applications to the NYU in Athens Program, held this
summer from June 30th until August 11th. A six-week summer program in
Athens, Greece, NYU in Athens is designed for both undergraduate and
graduate students from US Universities, and offers Modern Greek language
courses at all levels, as well as courses on archaeology, history, culture,
literature and photography. Students at NYU in Athens participate in site
visits that include but are not limited to archaeological sites and
museums, cultural activities such as concerts, plays and dance
performances. Participants also go on weekend program trips to islands such
as Crete and Santorini.

For this summer only, we have designed a special program that addresses all
aspects of the European debt crisis, including the cultural, social,
political, economic and historical effects of the crisis on Greece and the
Mediterranean. This unique program will include specific courses, guest
speakers, program seminars and site visits, and will encourage students to
actively experience and expand on the current situation in the
Mediterranean through original projects that range from personal blogs to
creative group initiatives. We are very excited to offer college students
the opportunity to be a part of the rapid developments that are undeniably
shaping the current sociopolitical landscape of Europe, and we expect to
welcome students with backgrounds that include anthropology, archaeology,
politics, history, comparative literature, philosophy, photography,
journalism, classics, economics, visual arts, theater and Hellenic studies.
We would like to invite students to apply to the NYU in Athens program
here: http://www.nyu.edu/summer/2012/abroad/athens/. Note that the program
is open to college students from all US universities.

Please feel free to forward this information to anyone who may be
interested in attending the program this summer. Do not hesitate to contact
me at anastasia.diakaki at nyu.edu with any questions you may have regarding
the NYU in Athens program.

You can also 'like' us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/NYUAthens ,
take a look at our Tumblr at http://nyuinathens.tumblr.com/ and follow us