[MGSA-L] Sunday Times book review. Greece: incitement to racial hatred?

George Baloglou gbaloglou at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 09:51:40 PDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 6:46 PM, Chris Williams
<troianovagroup at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Robert Harris' review as published in today's Sunday Times (Culture 41-2)
> of Michael Lewis' 'Boomerang: The Meltdown Tour':
>
> 'I'ts fair to say that Lewis doesn't think much of the Greeks, a country he
> describes as having suffered a "total moral collapse". Indeed the examples
> of its corruption, profligacy and kelptomania he has assembled sometimes
> seem to border on an incitement to racial hatred.'
>
> 'Most of Greece's problems Lewis ascribes to the Greek national
> character...'
>
> etc.

It is interesting however that in
http://www.businessinsider.com/michael-lewis-new-book-2011-9 (readers'
comments at bottom) -- and elsewhere, of course -- several anonymous
readers dare compare Greece's situation to Chicago's, California's,
and the USA's, seeing a disaster-in-the-making ... suggesting thus
that instead of "Europe's last sick man" we should probably be talking
about "the West's first sick man" (barring Iceland, which could be
placed in the exotic Far North by poetic license or whatever).

Another review of Lewis' book:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/27/books/boomerang-by-michael-lewis-review.html

--

Γιώργος Μπαλόγλου -- Θεσσαλονίκη