[MGSA-L] Graduate Student Conference in Modern Greek Studies: Princeton, May 4, 2012 -- CALL FOR PAPERS

Dimitri H. Gondicas gondicas at Princeton.EDU
Tue Nov 29 11:52:54 PST 2011

PRINCETON UNIVERSITY
Seeger Center for Hellenic Studies

Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce our fourth International Graduate Student Conference in Modern Greek Studies, on the theme of "Crisis and Innovation in Modern Greece."  The conference will be held at Princeton, Friday, May 4, 2012.

Below please find the call for papers.

Deadline for submissions: February 3, 2012

Kindly distribute this announcement to qualified graduate students.

Many thanks,

Dimitri Gondicas

Dimitri Gondicas
Director
Seeger Center for Hellenic Studies
Princeton University
http://www.princeton.edu/~hellenic/

                     Princeton University, May 4, 2012

                                CALL FOR PAPERS

The Seeger Center for Hellenic Studies at Princeton University announces our fourth International Graduate Student Conference in Modern Greek Studies.

Submissions are invited from doctoral candidates at the final stages of their dissertation work.  We seek proposals for papers that explore the interplay between moments of crisis and processes of innovation in modern Greece. Our primary aim is to discuss these two concepts, to explore their relationship and indicate their role in Greek social, political, and cultural life from the early modern period to the present. Possible research areas include institutions, policies, practices, discourses, and identities. We welcome submissions from various disciplines, such as anthropology, art history, film studies, economics, history, literary criticism, political science, and sociology.  Comparative or interdisciplinary approaches are welcome. Papers should be in English, and must not exceed 30 minutes.

Please submit abstracts of approximately 350 words no later than February 3, 2012. All Greek words should be transliterated. Each abstract should be accompanied by a cover letter, including (i) a curriculum vitae; (ii) a brief statement how the proposed paper connects with the dissertation-in-progress; (iii) the applicant's contact details (name, current affiliation, postal and e-mail addresses; tel. nos.); (iv) the names and e-mail addresses of two academic referees, including the dissertation supervisor and one other person familiar with the candidate's current research.

Receipt of all submissions will be acknowledged. The applicants will be notified by February 24, 2012, whether their submissions have been accepted. Participants will be expected to submit the full text of their papers by April 13, 2012. Papers will be precirculated among conference speakers, chairs, and respondents.

The Center for Hellenic Studies will cover participants' travel expenses to Princeton, and will offer shared (double-occupancy) accommodation (up to four nights), as well as some meals on the days of the conference.

Submissions should be e-mailed to: hellenic at princeton.edu  and nmichail at princeton.edu

(Submissions by fax or hard copy will not be accepted.)

Deadline: February 3, 2012

Program Committee

Merih Erol (Hellenic Studies)
Dimitri Gondicas (Classics and Hellenic Studies)
Konstantinos Kalantzis (Hellenic Studies)
Georgia Mavrodi (Hellenic Studies)
Nikos Panou (Comparative Literature and Hellenic Studies)
Effie Rentzou (French and Italian)
Konstantinos Tampakis (Hellenic Studies)

Secretary to the Committee: Nikos Michailidis (Anthropology and Hellenic Studies)