[MGSA-L] Support The Greek Institute in 2012!

June Samaras june.samaras at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 18:12:44 PST 2011

From: Maria Anagnostopoulos <greekinst at verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 19:12:56 -0500

Fall, 2011
Dear Friends,

"From ancient times to the present, Hellenes of the diaspora have
played a pivotal role in preserving and disseminating Hellenism
throughout the world. The Greek Institute is part of that long
tradition."
~Dr. Georgios Anagnostopoulos, Professor of Philosophy, UCSD,
Board of Directors of The Greek Institute

 "Although we no longer inhabit Antioch or Alexandria, we can travel
back to these ancient places through the cultural richness of our
museums and through the paideia expressed in the work of the Greek
Institute. These institutions have become the new agora of Hellenism.
Congratulations on a job well done!"
~Dr. Christine Kondoleon, Curator of Greek and Roman Art
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

The mission of The Greek Institute "to create a greater awareness and
understanding of the extraordinary achievements of Greek culture from
antiquity to the present" is reflected in all our programs: the
language classes in Homeric, Classical, New Testament and Modern
Greek; the Author/Lecture Series; Music/Film Series; Gallery
exhibitions and publications. Our programs are often described as
"high quality", "authentic", "relevant" and "meaningful".

In 2012, The Greek Institute will be supporting,
co-sponsoring/presenting many initiatives and events. Here are some of
the highlights:

- The Greeks Speak Lecture Series which will be open to the public and
feature lectures by exceptional Greek scholars, authors, scientists
and artists throughout 2012.

- Greek Fusion a concert featuring young and talented Greek musicians,
who in their compositions and performances fuse Greek music/influences
with other genres, such as jazz, world music, new age music, etc.

- An exhibition of Greek Embroideries and Folk Costumes from the
private collection of prominent New England Philhellene, Doreen
Canaday Spitzer (1914-2010), were recently donated to The Greek
Institute.

- Internet access to A Historiography of Greece: From Herodotus To
Paparrigopoulos. This online collection, produced by the Thesavros Tis
Hellenikes Glosses Project and led by Greek Institute founder, Dr.
Athan H. Anagnostopoulos, includes the works of ancient and later
Greek historians such as Herodotus, Thucydides, Xenophon, Polybios,
Psellos, Koraes, Trikoupis, Paparrigopoulos and others.

All dates and times of these events will be posted on our homepage at
www.thegreekinstitute.org and on our Facebook page "The Greek
Institute". Please search for us and "Like" us as we update Facebook
regularly!

We hope you will join us for these events, and support The Greek
Institute at any level possible. Broad community participation has
made it possible for the Institute to present high quality programs in
Greek culture for the last 20 years. We thank you in advance!

If you would like to give a tax-deductible donation to The Greek
Institute, please go to our website at www.thegreekinstitute.org where
you can make a secure donation online through Paypal, or using a
MasterCard, VISA, or AMEX.

On behalf of The Board of Directors, Advisory Board, staff and
volunteers of the Greek Institute, we wish you a happy, healthy, and
prosperous 2012!

Maria Anagnostopoulos
Programs Director
The Greek Institute