[MGSA-L] Haris Vlavianos on Athens

George Baloglou gbaloglou at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 11:33:57 PST 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 7:54 AM, June Samaras <june.samaras at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2011/11/20/haris-vlavianos-on-athens.html
>
> Haris Vlavianos on Athens
> Nov 21, 2011 12:00 AM EST
> Portrays an ‘unquiet’ people in a time of crisis.

[snip]

> So there is still a spark of life left in this gloomy city, especially
> during the night hours. That loud, easygoing, fun-loving, “unquiet”
> Athenian, as Byron called him, who has recently become the target of
> Northern, hard-working, disciplined Europeans, can still be seen
> eating or drinking happily in tavernas, restaurants, and cafés, around
> Plaka, Theseion, Monastiraki, or Makrigianni—neighborhoods at the foot
> of the Acropolis—or taking a walk with friends in the national park,
> in Mount Lycabettus (a hill rather), in Philopappou, or Kaisariani.
> Perhaps the food and wine on his table are not as exquisite as they
> used to be, but there still seems a need among the anxious,
> debt-ridden citizens of this city to affirm that not everything is
> lost.

[snip]

A very interesting sign of a changing economy and mentality: I heard of
"home restaurants" where someone with access to a relatively large
apartment and considerable cooking skills agrees in advance with a group
of people to prepare for them such and such a meal on a specific day and
time at a pre-agreed price (and zero tax, of course)!

[Meanwhile I was quite surprised to notice salt and pepper missing from
the tables of an upscale taverna yesterday; further, a passing African
ventor kindly requested, and of course received, a loaf of bread I had left
untouched at the end of my meal -- note here that it is not necessarily
wise to make offers of this kind to 'singing' kids and/or ventors, for they
may get offended (or so pretend).]

--

Γιώργος Μπαλόγλου -- Θεσσαλονίκη

http://www.oswego.edu/~baloglou (1988 - 2008)

http://crystallomath.wordpress.com (2009 - )

One monkey remained unaccounted for Wednesday night, but Lutz and
conservationist Jack Hanna, who assisted in the effort, said the
animal may have been eaten by one of the big cats. --
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/19/us/ohio-animals-on-loose/index.html