[MGSA-L] Introductory Reader for Learning Modern Greek

Irene Kacandes Irene.Kacandes at Dartmouth.EDU
Thu Nov 17 00:06:11 PST 2011

This is my first posting to the group.  Some of the "oldtimers" might remember
me.  I always get sent by my dept to Germany in the fall semester when you are
having the annual conference, so you haven't see me there in many years.

I'd like to let you all know that I put together a reader for individuals who
want to learn Modern Greek.  It goes from a very elementary story to a very complicated
one.  ALL words are glossed into English on the opposite page, parts of speech
are identified, and the glossary contains conjugations. So it's a great supplement
to other learning.  And unlike a children's story book, its content is for adults.

I have sent some 35  draft copies of the book at the beginning of this past summer
to various places I knew teach Modern Greek and only two people responded that
they received the book.  If you did receive a copy and have found typos, please
let me know (we have already seen many and are busy correcting).

If you teach Modern Greek to English speakers and would like to see it, please
let me know in the period of Dec 16-Dec 30 of this year. I am still in Germany
and would appreciate getting this information after I am back.

A donor in Greece funded the project and we will distribute the book *without
charge* until funds run out.

With warm greetings,

Irene Kacandes
Dartmouth College