[MGSA-L] Talk at Yale on Greek-Australian diaspora

Syrimis, George george.syrimis at yale.edu
Thu Nov 10 07:29:47 PST 2011

Monday, November 14, 5:00 PM
Luce Hall, 203, 34 Hillhouse Avenue

 Vassiliki Chryssanthopoulou
Lecturer in Folkloristics, National University of Athens

“From the Island’s Perspective”: Conceptualizing the Ancestral Home among a Group of Greek-Australians”

Vassiliki Chryssanthopoulou, a member of the faculty of philology at the National University of Athens, is a noted researcher and anthropologist whose area of expertise is the relationship of Diaspora Greeks to their family’s place of origin. A former researcher at the National Folklore Research Center of the Academy of Athens, she has done extensive work on the traditions of islanders from Kythera and Castellorizo, as well as the dynamics of ethnicity among Greek Australians. She is a member of the editorial board of the Greek Society for Ethnology and its journal, Ethnologia.

The lecture is free and open to the public.

For more information about the Program's activities visit our website at http://www.yale.edu/macmillan/hsp . Please also visit our “Community Events” section for local activities. You can also find us on Facebook. Search for “Hellenic Studies Program, Yale University”

The activities of the Hellenic Studies Program are generously funded by the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Center for Hellenic Studies at Yale University.