[MGSA-L] Fwd: BBC - Adam Curtis Blog: THE GHOST OF THE COLONELS

Aristide D. Caratzas acaratzas at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 10:08:44 PDT 2011

While it may be satisfying to ascribe all of today's ills to the Junta, Adam Curtis doesn't merit serious consideration, except that as a film maker he is likely to infect others with his ignorance.

This obviously is a complicated subject but the point needs to be made: the reality is that Greece of the 1970s through 1981 had very little debt; in fact in 1981 state debt represented about 26-27% of GDP. At the same time it sustained a high rate of economic growth.

The policies of heavy state indebtedness (and destruction of productive capacity, cf. "socialization" of industries into extinction) began with Andreas Papandreou, who used cheap (borrowed) money to buy  both to "buy acquiescence" and create massive corruption (in his words "όλοι πρέπει να φάμε, αλλά όχι 400 εκατομμύρια...," and the Pangalos recent refrain, "όλοι φάγαμε" [sic]). These simply are the facts. The governments that followed, to a greater or lesser extent, maintained this policy until the money ran out...

And a disclaimer: the above is not a political statement but a call to minimum academic integrity. There is too much real information and serious opinions that we need to take into account for us to waste time with the kind of nonsense in the Curtis piece.

Aristide Caratzas