[MGSA-L] Seeking original text of poem by Avghi Sakalli

Marina Terkourafi mt217 at illinois.edu
Wed May 4 06:57:18 PDT 2011

Dear list members,

I am trying to locate the Greek text of a poem by Cypriot poet Avghi
Sakalli (1916-1979). The poem (cited in full below) was published in
English translation under the title "You came" in an anthology of
Cypriot poetry called "27 centuries of Cypriot poetry" edited by
Theoklis Kouyalis and published by the Cyprus PEN in 1983. Any leads
to the original Greek version would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Marina Terkourafi
=============

You came by Avghi Sakalli

You came and lightened my heart!
But I cannot believe you came
Nor yet understand how!
And I wonder if it is a dream,

And the fallow earth filled with roses
And sunlight shone in your footprints.

You came one January midnight
With the stormy rain!
You came, it seems, on my most bitter evening ...
And at once the squall calmed,
And everything around was as a caress
And serene like a prayer.

You took from me winter's clothing
With your affectionate kiss,
And wrapped me in light silk!
You came, and my once-heavy body
is about to fly like a bird
Into the April skies! ...

You came and lightened my heart!
But I cannot believe you came
Nor yet understand how!
But the fragrance of your breath
Feeds me with dreams in this serene noontime
You came, and now you rest against my breasts! ...

--
Marina Terkourafi
Assistant Professor & Co-Director for Modern Greek Studies

Telephone: +1 (217) 244-3061
Fax: +1 (217) 244-8430

http://faculty.las.illinois.edu/mt217/