[MGSA-L] William V. Spanos's book, In the Neighborhood of Zero, A World War II Memoir.

Artemis S Leontis 1 aleontis at umich.edu
Tue Jul 26 07:22:46 PDT 2011

I wanted to bring attention to William V. Spanos's new book, In the
Neighborhood of Zero, A World War II Memoir (U-Nebraska 2010).

The book bears witness to Spanos' experience of living through the
"Battle of the Bulge" (Spanos was part of the inexperienced 106th
division at the center of the bulge that bore the weight of the Nazi
attack), prison camp in Dresden, the British and American fire-bombing
of Dresden, and the chaos of the end of the war on the German-Czech
border.  Although he narrates the experience chronologically, he tries
not to reduce it to another story of the "greatest generation.

Motto:  "Did you ever return to Dresden, Professor Spanos?" "I never
left there."

The first words of the first chapter, entitled "Departure and Border
Crossings," are: "I am a Greek American" (1).

Spanos writes that the experience of American's destructive power in
the world "foregrounds the silent hyphen between my Greek and American
selves which, in a more recent language, has rendered me a hybrid."
(pg 3)

William V. Spanos is Distinguished Professor of English and
comparative literature at the State University of New York at
Binghamton. He is the author of many books, including America?s
Shadow: An Anatomy of Empire and American Exceptionalism in the Age of
Globalization: The Specter of Vietnam.