[MGSA-L] Greek Immigration to the US and Dual Citizenship

Savidis lists1 at savidis.com
Mon Feb 28 21:03:20 PST 2011

Maria,

I worked as AHEPA's communications director for 10 years back in the 1990's'
and did quite a bit of research including oral histories, membership in
organizations etc.

You will find AHEPA and the Archdiocese formed about the same time --
1922-23. This point to when a huge bulk of people  decided to stay.  AS far
as the "why" -- the evidence points to internal and external factors at that
moment.

Internally to the US , the sharp limits on immigration put in place in
1922-23 as a result of fears over ever increasing east and south-east
European immigration meant both a legal (leaving and returning) and social
need to become citizens.

.

Externally the oral histories pointed to  Balkan, WWI and especially the
Asia Minor  catastrophe as a significant bump which meant the many of the
Greek men here earning capital to take back home no longer had a home in
Anatolia and instead focused on bringing their families here and staying.

(My own family was denaturalized from their home in a  Post Balkan war
precursor to the G-T exchange in the very corner of SE Bulgaria (real post
facto mutual legitimization of expulsions between Greece and Bulgaria). That
is why there is a bump in citizenship for Greeks from Agathopolis (extreme
NE Thrace) shortly following their earlier loss of homeland.)

George Savidis

Washington DC

PS I don't have the numbers anymore but I believe the Greek male ratio
coming into Ellis pre 23 was very high compared to Italians, and East
Europeans of the same time.  I think only second to Chinese male ratio into
the states.  This is an indicator that a good number of the Greeks here were
thinking of going back