[MGSA-L] Fw: After Funding Cut, Cornell Will No Longer Offer Modern Greek Courses

Neni Panourgia np255 at columbia.edu
Sun Feb 27 10:36:29 PST 2011

As regrettable as this turn of events is it might actually prove to be a
blessing in disguise. As we say in Greece: ???? ?????? ????? ???????.
This is the perfect time for the Greek-American community to show its
commitment to all things Greek, to get itself together, engage in
fundraising, and fund and endow a modern Greek program at Cornell.
Modern Greek programs cannot be sustained solely by Greek funds in
perpetuity and the US universities have shown over the past two years
that they are following a corporate model which does not encourage the
flourishing of the humanities. Therefore this is the time for alumni,
Greek-American businesses, and the community at large to invest in and
promote education.

np/

--

Dangerous Citizens. The Greek Left and the Terror of the State

Ethnographica Moralia Experiments in Interpretive Anthropology
www.fordhampress.com/detail.html?id=9780823228874

Professor Neni Panourgiá
Columbia University
452 Schermerhorn Ext.