[MGSA-L] TV Program on Greek immigration

George Baloglou gbaloglou at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 07:27:11 PST 2011

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Anagnostou, Georgios
<anagnostou.1 at osu.edu> wrote:
> Dear Neni,
> You are so right to identify this disparity. I should also add the monologic
> dimension of the program as yet another one of its problems. The Greeks are
> exclusively presented as victims. Turkish Germans attacked them, and African
> Americans pushed them away. We face here the limits of the personal
> testimony. In the absence of historicization these eye-witness accounts only
> inflame interethnic and interracial hostility. The documentary is silent on
> the Greek immigrant position vis-a-vis other ethnic groups and minorities.
> The statement "I experienced hostility by black women" (I paraphrase here),
> featured in the last part of the documentary, urgently requires
> contextualization. We could safely infer that the interviewee refers to the
> civil rights area or to the years immediately after it. The various Greek
> American positions in regards to civil rights movement that should had been
> discussed in this context, were conveniently neglected.
> It is appropriate here to quote Charles Moskos: "On race relations,
> Archbishop Iakovos has taken a strong civil rights position, even marching
> in the forefront with Martin Luther King, Jr., in Selma, Alabama, in 1965.
> There is little question, however, that the Archbishop's actions on civil
> rights were far in advance of the majority of his flock."
> It will be interesting to hear what others on the list think.
> ya

History is largely based on personal testimonies. It is the
historian's responsibility to compare such testimonies 'from both
sides', and compare all testimonies to other facts as well, in order
to reach conclusions. In this case, the testimony of Turks bullying
Greeks for wearing the cross *in Germany* is most enlightening.

In the U.S., it is almost natural for simple Greek Americans to have
forgotten Archbishop Iakovos' memorable stance. Problems between
African Americans and Greek immigrants, both belonging to groups
facing poverty and direct discrimination, were almost inevitable. And
I have heard -- like many on this list I suppose -- that those Greeks
who made some money and owned property in Astoria ... were threatened
by other Greeks, and other neighbors, not to sell or rent to
African-Americans.

--

Γιώργος Μπαλόγλου -- Θεσσαλονίκη

http://www.oswego.edu/~baloglou (1988 - 2008)

http://crystallomath.wordpress.com (2009 - )

"Mr. Stylianidis hails from Komotini and has been one of Mr.
Politopoulos’s staunchest political backers. He is also a student of a
vast array of old laws that, he says, harm businesses in Greece. One
favorite example: a decree that protects donkeys, giving them the
right of way on Greek roads." (NYT, 1/30/11)