[MGSA-L] TV Program on Greek immigration

Anagnostou, Georgios anagnostou.1 at osu.edu
Sat Feb 26 10:05:06 PST 2011

Dear Neni,

You are so right to identify this disparity. I should also add the monologic dimension of the program as yet another one of its problems. The Greeks are exclusively presented as victims. Turkish Germans attacked them, and African Americans pushed them away. We face here the limits of the personal testimony. In the absence of historicization these eye-witness accounts only inflame interethnic and interracial hostility. The documentary is silent on the Greek immigrant position vis-a-vis other ethnic groups and minorities. The statement "I experienced hostility by black women" (I paraphrase here), featured in the last part of the documentary, urgently requires contextualization. We could safely infer that the interviewee refers to the civil rights area or to the years immediately after it. The various Greek American positions in regards to civil rights movement that should had been discussed in this context, were conveniently neglected.

It is appropriate here to quote Charles Moskos: "On race relations, Archbishop Iakovos has taken a strong civil rights position, even marching in the forefront with Martin Luther King, Jr., in Selma, Alabama, in 1965. There is little question, however, that the Archbishop's actions on civil rights were far in advance of the majority of his flock."

It will be interesting to hear what others on the list think.

ya