[MGSA-L] TV Program on Greek immigration

Neni Panourgia np255 at columbia.edu
Sat Feb 26 09:38:38 PST 2011

Dear Yiorgo,

Thank you so much for sending these superb links. Watching them, though,
I could not help but notice a disparity in the linguistic ease among the
people interviewed. It seems that the immigrants to European countries
and Australia speak Greek without the inflection that is detectable
among the US-based Greeks who appear on the program, even when the time
of emigration is the same (the decade of the '60s). Is this only my
impression or do others on the list share it? And if it is a correct
assessment is there any sociolinguistic research that has been done on
this question?

np/

--

Dangerous Citizens. The Greek Left and the Terror of the State

Ethnographica Moralia Experiments in Interpretive Anthropology
www.fordhampress.com/detail.html?id=9780823228874

Professor Neni Panourgiá
Columbia University
452 Schermerhorn Ext.