[MGSA-L] Balkan song versions

Xanthippi zymaris at verizon.net
Wed Feb 9 12:11:09 PST 2011

My knowledge of Bulgarian and Russian helped me understand that singer
(Katerina) is of both Serbian and Greek origin (mother is Greek) and she
speaks both languages. She was born and educated in the US (studied physics
in Harvard).

I am strongly against any effort to put an ethnic label to music, which is a
universal language and in no way can be restricted in those fictionary
political borders. So, just for fun, I am contributing another information
according to which this very "Balkan" song in question has its origins in a
theatrical performance given by the Armenian Theater in
Constantinople/Istanbul in the 1870's.

This is not the only case of shared songs and melodies, of course. Some
years ago, watching a documentary on the Greek TV on the Jewish community of
Marseilles, I was so surprised to listen to my favorite folk song "Tzivaeri"
(a "greek" song on the sorrows of emigration) as one of the traditional
melodies of that very community (no lyrics though). Personally, kind of like
this mediterranean Babel of music, which spiritually brings us to the
pro-babel era.

Xanthippi Kotzageorgi-Zymaris