[MGSA-L] 'God Loves Caviar' by Iannis Smaragdis

June Samaras june.samaras at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 23:34:36 PST 2011

Film with international cast shoots in Greece
Updated: 12:21, Tuesday December 13, 2011

http://www.skynews.com.au/showbiz/article.aspx?id=696079&vId=2916297

A new film about caviar, love and revolution is being shot on location
in Greece and Russia with a famous international cast, including John
Cleese, Catherine Deneuve and Sebastian Koch. Based on true events,
Koch stars as Ioannis Varvakis, a pirate who became a fabulously
wealthy caviar exporter in Russia and then, spiritually inspired,
returned to Greece to give away his entire fortune to aid the 1821
revolution against the Ottoman Empire.

According to Reuters, Its timing is very poignant, as Varvakis's life
story has some interesting messages about patriotism, philanthropy and
spiritual fulfillment just as Greece is now suffering through an
economic crisis.

'This story is quite a simple story, really like a fairytale its easy
to follow but it hits the nerve, there are simple rules in life you
shouldn't go over, and if you do you fail, and for Varvakis to realize
that - to escape in business, in work, and getting richer and richer
is not a solution - this is quite something we can learn - our world -
our European - you know this whole thing is about that, Europe is
cracking down because money, money, the whole money thing exploded,
because, its just chasing for the wrong thing and to realize that we
should change for something else, something perhaps more silent, more
simple, this is the message,' said Sebastian Koch.

The film follows Varvakis's life, from his time as a dashing,
mercenary pirate in the Aegean Sea to the court of Catherine the Great
- played by Deneuve - to his efforts as a sage old man aiding the
revolutionary cause.

'For me as an actor its the different states in his life, to play that
its wonderful of course, and what I said before the pirate is always
in this man, he has still this strong energy in him, but he is getting
almost religious, like a saint at the end,' said the Berlin-based
Koch.

The German-born actor received a Golden Globe for his performance in
2006's 'Lives of Others,' which won Best Foreign Picture at the
Oscars. Koch also received an Emmy in 2009 for his role in the
German-language series, 'Sea Wolf.'

'God Loves Caviar' is directed and produced by Greek filmmaker Iannis
Smaragdis, who has often chosen to depict the lives of famous Greeks
on screen in such films as 'Cavafy' and 'El Greco.' Smaragdis was
attracted to telling the story of the near-forgotten Varvakis because
of his path from mercenary to benefactor.

'I was moved by the fact that he was a person who became very rich but
when he realized what God wanted from him in order to be satisfied
with him, he did it. And essentially that is how he found happiness. I
think the film makes the issue that anyone who is able to realize why
they are in this process called life then they can be happy and come
close to God, like Varvakis did,' said Smaragdis. The film also
includes Spanish, Greek and Russian actors.

Despite a distribution deal with Sony Pictures, and funding from the
Hellenic Film Center and Greek National Television, the Greek-Russian
production is funded mainly by private donors and is budgeted at eight
million euros.

Smaragdis is currently fund-raising outside Greece for the film's
final step - post-production. He said making a film during the
economic crisis is very hard, adding he is disappointed that rich
Greeks do not contribute more to the country during this time of
economic difficulty.

'Especially in Greece, and especially at this time when the country is
being tested, people like Varvakis do not exist - I am afraid that
they don't exist. Very wealthy people exist, especially from the
shipping industry, who are consumed in if I may say so this foolish
competition over who will have more ships. But the people during
Varvaki's period competed more for who would contribute more to their
nation, or for the common good, or for charity,' said Smaragdis, who
also believes that art becomes even more important to people during
times of crisis and hopes his film will be motivational.

After filming in Greece wraps up, the crew will travel to Russia to
film on location in St. Petersburg in January 2012.

It is expected to be in theaters in October 2012.

--
June Samaras
2020 Old Station Rd
E-mail : june.samaras at gmail.com