[MGSA-L] Greeks tighten belt with crisis cookbooks

George Baloglou gbaloglou at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 15:28:57 PST 2011

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 11:44 PM, June Samaras <june.samaras at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greeks tighten belt with crisis cookbooks
>
> http://yourlife.usatoday.com/fitness-food/story/2011-12-06/Greeks-tighten-belt-with-crisis-cookbooks/51670644/1
>
> Thanassis Stavrakis, AP
>
> Author of the ''Starvation Recipes'' Eleni Nikolaidou says
> recession-hit Greeks have found fascination in the wartime survival
> tips, with bargain-hunting and frugal living entering the country's
> popular culture.

I do not think the situation will ever turn as bad as that of 1941-44, it
will probably be comparable to Israel's austerity period -- see for
example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austerity_in_Israel -- about
which I knew nothing until earlier today (when I saw it mentioned in
the rather fascinating http://www.haaretz.com/weekend/magazine/
ten-israeli-restaurants-six-hundred-years-in-the-kitchen-1.399192 ).

...I was stunned to hear from a friend that one of my grand favorites,
fava, is not that popular with Greeks because it is still associated in
people's minds with hunger and the German Occupation!

In another direction, you may like to have a look at
http://sarantakos.wordpress.com/2011/12/06/foodporn/ (in Greek,
devoted to the gourmet cooking competitions on Greek TV).

--

Γιώργος Μπαλόγλου -- Θεσσαλονίκη

http://www.oswego.edu/~baloglou (1988 - 2008)

http://crystallomath.wordpress.com (2009 - )

One monkey remained unaccounted for Wednesday night, but Lutz and
conservationist Jack Hanna, who assisted in the effort, said the
animal may have been eaten by one of the big cats. --
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/19/us/ohio-animals-on-loose/index.html