[MGSA-L] Fwd: Chomski's signature

riboush at uth.gr riboush at uth.gr
Tue Aug 30 17:04:09 PDT 2011

You can download the list of signatures from here, you probably looked at the
wrong site.

http://supportgreekacademia.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/signatures-25-8.pdf

The fact that you state there have been "YEARS of impotent discussions on
University reforms" shows total ignorance of what has been going on over the
last few years in Greek Universities, especially since the last law by
Minister
Yannakou (2007) and more intensively since last year when the first
ideas of the
present law were presented. Since then there has been a very lively debate
within all the appropriate instances of the academy, including staff meetings,
trade unions, senates (some of them were open to all members of the academic
commmunity), the Conference of Rectors, as well as many open public debates in
most of the University towns. What came out of all these discussions was a
broad agreement that a reform is needed, but not in the direction proposed by
the government and many concrete proposals have been submitted. None of these
proposals have been taken into account in the elaboration of the new law, in
spite of the Minister's alleged commitment to "open dialogue". We are grateful
for all the support we have received from University teachers all over the
world, many of whom are already struggling for years with the nefast
consequences of the neoliberal reforms in many parts of the world. For an
academic approach to these issues you might like to look at a special issue of
the Journal Social Anthropology published in February 2010. It also clear that
it will be very difficult to impose this reform on an academic community which
is opposed to it, whose views have never been seriously taken into account by
those in power and whose efforts to keep up international standards in
academic
teaching and research has been denigrated by all means, legitimate and
illegitimate in public media campaigns.

Riki Van Boeschoten
Associate Professor of Social Anthropology
former president of the University teachers Union of the University of
Thessaly