[MGSA-L] Lamentations, Resurrection

Roland Moore rolandmo at pacbell.net
Sat Apr 23 16:49:15 PDT 2011

From Christos D. Katsetos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzDaVyWEjtQ&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Klo7yTK_VI&feature=related CDK", "metaData": { "visible": "true" } } }; YAHOO.Shortcuts.annotationSetID = "64c058d94c3361e4daa975ea7515a063";
On Good Friday evening, Romiosyni gathered to mourn the Service of the Lamentations singing the Εγκώμια (Egomia).  First is the Lamentation "Η Ζωή εν τάφω" (I Zoi en tafo) ["Oh Christ, the Life, You were laid in the tomb"] to be followed by "Άξιον εστί" (Axion esti)["It is worthy to bless Thee, the Virgin"] and "Αι γενεαί αι πάσαι" (Ai geneaí ai pásai)["Every Generation"].
Below are variant renditions and improvisations:
"I Zoi en tafo"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oeVLIFnprc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uce503Rr0ro&NR=1

-- Rendition by Nikos Xylouris and Manolis Mitsias (1977)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yW39rHxW2c

-- Rendition by Petros Gaitanos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTyAn8qAnDA

-- Rendition of "I Zoi en tafo" by Fairuz in Greek and Arabic
(Yassouh El hayat Nouazimak)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiE-biR9USU
"Axion esti -- Ai geneaí ai pásai"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD659OZtRIs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o8OwQxKEtw

In a few hours, the centuries' enduring Romiosyni --transcending regional, tribal, (ethno)linguistic, and nationalist barriers-- will celebrate Christ's Resurrection across the oceans, chanting

CHRISTOS ANESTI! (Resurrection)

In Greek
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruFh6qmBSVc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZSyTUsdpu0

-- Easter Liturgy, Alexandria, Egypt (2008)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfSG9sj7frQ

-- Rendition by Irene Pappas -- musical improvisation by Vangelis (1986)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKwizUzyj0I

-- Rendition by Divna Ljubojevic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-myhdWJyBPY

In Roumanian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhNsb6jHEpw&feature=related

In Arabic (rendition by Fairuz)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8n6ETJ4YqI

Easter at Jerusalem (renditions by Fairuz and Petros Gaitanos)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCwwV8SCXW0

ΑΓΙΟ ΦΩΣ- Holy Light (Orthodox Easter), Jerusalem.