[MGSA-L] Greek PM to unveil Libya peace plan in ‘next day or two’

June Samaras june.samaras at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 21:23:58 PDT 2011

Greek PM to unveil Libya peace plan in ‘next day or two’
Will be based on U.N. Security Council resolutions, says deputy foreign minister

By Ben Birnbaum

-The Washington Times

2:12 p.m., Monday, April 4, 2011

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/apr/4/greek-pm-unveil-libya-peace-plan-next-day-or-two/

Greece will present a peace initiative for Libya’s civil conflict “in
the next day or two,” Greece’s deputy foreign minister told The
Washington Times on Monday.

“We require a transition from the current regime,” Dimitris Dollis
said in a telephone interview. “We also require political reforms.”

Mr. Dollis said that Prime Minister George Papandreou “has been
talking to his colleagues” about the Libyan crisis and is “talking to
other governments about what we consider to be a way forward.”

He declined to divulge details of the Papandreou plan, but said “the
basis of that initiative will be full adherence to United Nations
Security Council resolutions.”

Mr. Dollis, Mr. Papandreou and Foreign Minister Dimitris Droutsas met
Sunday with Libya’s acting foreign minister, Abdul Ati al-Obeidi, in
Athens. Mr. Dollis said the meeting lasted “over an hour.”
**FILE** Greek Prime Minister George Papandreou (Associated
Press)**FILE** Greek Prime Minister George Papandreou (Associated
Press)

“We repeated the message of the international community that we
request the full respect an the implementation of the United Nations
Security Council resolutions and specifically we asked for an
immediate ceasefire and an end to the violence against the Libyan
people,” Mr. Dollis said.

“The message that [Mr. al-Obeidi] brought is that we must avoid a
civil war and the crisis must end,” he added. “But for the crisis to
end, we require full implementation of the Security Council
resolution.”

Formerly Libya’s deputy foreign minister, Mr. al-Obeidi assumed his
new position after his former boss, Musa Kusa, defected last week to
London.

U.N. Security Council’s Resolution 1973 calls for Libyan authorities
to stop attacking their people; enter a dialogue to reach a peaceful,
political solution to the crisis; and comply with international
human-rights laws.

Asked whether they had discussed proposals for dictator Moammar
Gadhafi’s exit, Mr. Dollis said that avoiding a full-blown
humanitarian disaster was the meeting’s primary priority.

--
June Samaras
2020 Old Station Rd
E-mail : june.samaras at gmail.com