[MGSA-L] drachma historical values

June Samaras june.samaras at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 21:01:39 PST 2010

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 7:56 PM,  <gerasimus.katsan at qc.cuny.edu> wrote:
> Dear List members:
>    Does anyone know of a source for seeing what the exchange rate for the
> drachma was?
>    For example, I am looking specifically for what the drachma was worth
> (in US dollars) in 1993, but am also interested in fluctuations during the
> last half of the 20th century in general.
==================

Gerasimus,

1] The Federal reserve has a chart of past currency exchange rates but
it only covers
2000 onwards - so minimal data for pre-euro Greece

http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h10/hist/

2] The Bank of Canada Historical data only goes back 10 years - so
again no real use for Greece
http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/rates/exchform.html

3] Not sure what exact  <vbg> details might show up in the Greek
sources of the period

Presumably the annual reports of NBG <might >be useful !

4] Here is a link to Microsoft Powerpoint publication

14 May 2010 ... Source: Eurostat, wiiw calculations. BG RO HR MK RS AL
... cumulative change, 1995-1990, 2000-1990, 2008-1990 .... is
feasible (countries that already use the euro or have committed to
currency boards would have to make ...
www.bankofgreece.gr/BoGDocuments/14-5_landesman.ppt

4] There is this reference to a report by  G.D.Demopoulos in ΣΠΟΥΔΑΙ / SPOUDAI

exchange rate of the Greek drachma in order to examine whether the
drachma ... rate and Qt is the real effective exchange rate (source:
Eurostat). ...
digilib.lib.unipi.gr/spoudai/bitstream/.../215/.../t48_n1-4_3to20.pdf

http://digilib.lib.unipi.gr/spoudai/

5]  Most of the survey stuff I can find relates to the drachma versus
the other European
currencies - obviously a topic of MUCH more interest there at the time...

Here are the ECU currency exchange rates (1989-1998)

http://www.mediasalles.it/ybk07adv/tabelle/img_tabelle/tab_img_63_tassi_ec.html

6] This site has some basic background stuff on the whole EU "convergence"
and the EMU programme & problems (lots of links )

http://www.aede.eu/124_convergence_crit.html

7] 1] This site has the abstract of an article on Currency volatility
in Europe prior to 1999
that might give you a place/person in the USA to start with

'Volatility changes in European currency exchange rates due to EMS
announcements'

<<<Abstract

This study examines the effects of announcements concerning European
Monetary Union on the exchange rate volatilities of several European
currencies. It is expected that when good news is portrayed in regard
to a single currency this will be considered bad news, thus eliciting
a negative reaction, for the German mark. Conversely, good news for a
single currency should also be good news for weaker currencies, such
as the Portuguese escudo, the Italian lira, the Greek drachma, and the
Spanish peseta. In terms of volatility, a reaction to good news should
be a reduction in volatility, as bad news should cause an increase in
volatility. In total there are 22 announcements examined from January
1986 through September 1997. The German mark is observed to experience
greater increases in volatility than decreases, as does the Italian
lira. Portugal and Greece appear to react more strongly to positive
news in that the decreases in volatility are on average greater than
the increases.>>>

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6W4F-452FFW7-1&_user=10&_coverDate=12%2F31%2F2002&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_origin=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1540598661&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=1b0baf5f35781f5af44fae79d529c0b0&searchtype=a

The contact information given for the author is /was
Charlotte Anne Bond  email: cbond at campbell.berry.edu

Campbell School of Business, Berry College, Mount Berry, GA 30149-5024, USA

8]  This publication from the IMF covers 1993-2005

International financial statistics country notes, 2005 , Volume 58
International Monetary Fund, 2005 - Business & Economics - 198 pages
This annual publication contains detailed statistics on all aspects of
international and domestic finance, mostly covering the years
1993-2004. The first volume contains world and area tables with data
covering topics including exchange rates, fund accounts, international
reserves, balance of payments and commodity prices; as well as
individual country data tables for most IMF members, selected other
countries and economic groupings on topics including exchange rates,
international liquidity, interest rates, international investment,
balance of payments, and national accounts. The second volumes
contains country notes with details of compilation techniques and data
sources used.

10] Your final option is to dive into the immense sea of Eurostat data for help

(though these charts are more likely useful for inter European use ,
not for US v EU)

Eurostat is the Statistical Office of the European Communities. Its
mission is to provide the European Union with high-quality statistical
informa- tion. For that purpose, it gathers and analyses figures from
the national statistical offices across Europe and provides comparable
and harmonised data for the European Union to use in the definition,
implementa tion and analysis of Community policies. Its statistical
products and services are also of great value to Europe’s business
community, professional organisations, academics, librarians, NGOs,
the media and citizens.
Eurostat's publications programme consists of several collections:

News releases provide recent information on the Euro-Indicators and on
social, economic, regional, agricultural or environmental topics.

Statistical books are larger A4 publications with statistical data and analysis.

Pocketbooks are free of charge publications aiming to give users a set
of basic figures on a specfic topic.

Statistics in focus provides updated summaries of the main results
ofsurveys, studies and statistical analysis.

Data in focus present the most recent statistics with methodological notes.

Methodologies and working papers are technical publications for
statistical experts working in a particular field.
Eurostat publications can be ordered via the EU Bookshop at

http://book-shop.europa.eu.

All publications are also downloadable free of charge in PDF format
from the Eurostat website

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat.

Furthermore, Eurostat’s databases are freely available there, as are
tables with the most frequently used and demanded short- and long-term
indicators.

Eurostat has set up with the members of the ‘European statistical
system’ (ESS) a network of user support centres which exist in nearly
all Member States as well as in some EFTA countries. Their mission is
to provide help and guidance to Internet users of European statistical
data. Contact details for this support network can be found on
Eurostat Internet site

Here are some Eurostat publications with data covering the period you want :

    * Eurostat yearbook 2004 - The statistical guide to Europe: Data 1992-2002
    * Eurostat yearbook 2003 - The statistical guide to Europe: Data 1991-2001
    * Eurostat yearbook 2002 - The statistical guide to Europe: Data 1990-2000

Available in the EU-bookshop:

    * Eurostat yearbook 2001 - A statistical eye on Europe: Data 1989-1999
    * Eurostat yearbook 2000 - A statistical eye on Europe: Data 1988-1998
    * Eurostat yearbook '98/99 - A statistical eye on Europe: Data 1987-1997
    * Eurostat yearbook '97 - A statistical eye on Europe: Data 1986-1996
    * Eurostat yearbook '96 - A statistical view on Europe: Data 1985-1995

Hope this helps

June Samaras
KALAMOS BOOKS
(For Books about Greece)