[MGSA-L] Modern Greek ACTFL SIG

Neni Panourgia np255 at columbia.edu
Thu Nov 11 20:25:08 PST 2010

Dear Eva,

 From what I understand from your message there is some urgency for our signing the petition. But before we sign, and since you
sent the call through the MGSA List, would you take a couple of minutes to explain to us who are not familiar with the ACTFL how
this initiative and its goals as they are being laid out and articulated here, is different from what the Undergraduate Committee
of the MGSA has been doing and how it will promote the cause of teaching of Modern Greek as a Foreign Language? In other words,
can you address the concern that forming a Special Interest Group for Modern Greek at ACTFL runs the risk of splitting the efforts
already being made by the MGSA? Is this a legitimate concern? Or not? And why? Only someone who is intimately connected with the
teaching of language would be able to respond to that.

It would also be nice to know who else is involved in this initiative,so that we will get to know more people who teach Modern Greek
language who might not be members of the Association. In other words, it would be nice if efforts at promoting the teaching of Modern
Greek could be aggregated and, hopefully, coordinated.

Many thanks,

Neni

--

Dangerous Citizens. The Greek Left and the Terror of the State

Ethnographica Moralia Experiments in Interpretive Anthropology
www.fordhampress.com/detail.html?id=9780823228874

Professor Neni Panourgiá
Columbia University
452 Schermerhorn Ext.