[CPCC] Seminar by Prof. Michele Zorzi

Hamid Jafarkhani hamidj at uci.edu
Tue Nov 27 12:14:48 PST 2012

Title: Optimal Transmission Policies for Energy Harvesting Communication Devices

Speaker: Prof. Michele Zorzi

Date: December 4, 2012, Tuesday

Time: 11:00am - 12:00pm

Venue: Harut Barsamian Colloquia (Engineering Hall 2430)

ABSTRACT

Energy Harvesting (EH) is a new paradigm in Wireless Sensor Networks
(WSNs): sensor nodes are powered by energy harvested from the ambient,
rather than by non-rechargeable batteries, thus enabling a potentially
perpetual operation of the WSN. However, Energy Harvesting poses new
challenges in the design of WSNs, in that energy availability is
random and fluctuates over time, thus calling for radically different
energy management solutions. In this talk we investigate the following
fundamental question: how should the harvested energy be managed to
ensure optimal performance? First, we consider a sensor powered by EH
which senses data of varying importance and reports them judiciously
to a Fusion Center. Assuming that data transmission incurs an energy
cost, our objective is to identify low-complexity policies that
achieve close-to-optimal performance, in terms of maximizing the
average long-term importance of the reported data. We first consider
schemes that rely on the assumption of perfect knowledge of the amount
of energy available in the battery. Subsequently, we investigate the
design of operation policies that maximize the long-term reward under
imperfect knowledge of the State-Of-Charge (SOC). Moreover, for both
scenarios, we explore the impact of time-correlation in the EH
process, showing that simple adaptation to the state of the EH process
yields close-to-optimal performance, without requiring full knowledge
of the SOC of the battery.

SPEAKER'S BIOGRAPHY

Michele Zorzi is a Professor at the Department of Information
Engineering of the University of Padova. Prior to his current
appointment, he was employed at the Politecnico di Milano, the
University of Ferrara and the University of California at San Diego,
with which he still has an active collaboration. He received a PhD in
Electrical Engineering from the University of Padova in 1994.

Prof. Zorzi was the EiC of the IEEE Wireless Communications magazine
in 2003-2005, and the EiC of the IEEE Transactions on Communications
in 2008-2011, and has served on the Editorial Boards of the top
journals in his area of research and on the Organizing and Technical
Program Committee for many international conferences. He is an IEEE
Fellow. His main research interests are in the area of wireless
communications and networking, sensor networks and IoT, underwater
communications and networks, and energy-efficient protocol design.

Host: Ender Ayanoglu